How to Use Password AutoFill on Apple TV and tvOS 12

Discussion in 'Guides, How Tos and Reviews' started by MacRumors, Aug 1, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Signing into apps and services on Apple TV can be frustrating when you're shuttling between characters on the onscreen keyboard, or barking out letters and numbers at your Siri Remote. To make entering login credentials easier, Apple introduced continuity keyboard, an iOS feature that allows users to enter text on their Apple TV using their iPhone or iPad.

[​IMG]

In tvOS 12, coming this fall, continuity keyboard has been further enhanced to support Password AutoFill. So whenever you encounter a login screen, you'll see the following notification on your iPhone or iPad.

[​IMG]

Simply tap the alert at the top of the screen to bring up the keyboard, and you should be able to fill in your password credentials on Apple TV by tapping the AutoFill suggestion in the Quick Type bar. And if you're using the TV remote or Control Center interface with your Apple TV, the same simple login process applies.

The above assumes your Apple TV and iOS device are on the same iCloud account. But say you're a guest in someone's home, and you'd like to log in to your account on their Apple TV. What then?

[​IMG]

Happily, tvOS 12 also caters for this scenario. Apple TV can now ping the Siri Remote to look for a nearby iPhone. Once it's discovered your device, your iPhone will ask you to confirm that you want to use AutoFill. It will then prompt you to enter the authentication PIN displayed on the nearby Apple TV.

[​IMG]

On authenticating your iPhone with Face ID, Touch ID, or a passcode, you'll be presented with your passwords list, and the password for the relevant app or service that you want to log in to will appear at the top, ready to send to your friend's Apple TV at a tap.

Password AutoFill on Apple TV requires the installation of tvOS 12 and iOS 12, both which are due to be released in the fall.

Article Link: How to Use Password AutoFill on Apple TV and tvOS 12

2. 2010mini macrumors 68040

So why not just have the Apple TV auto fill passwords from iCloud? Why do I need a second device?

3. Saipher, Aug 1, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2018

Saipher macrumors demi-god

Saipher

Maybe because then anyone with access to your tv would be able to access all your passwords without verification.

4. Nozuka macrumors 68020

I hope you will make a Collection of all these IOS12 guides when it actually gets released as GM.
    I think i will have forgotten about alot of them until then. lol

And i hope this will work with other password managers too.

5. Mr. Donahue macrumors 6502

Mr. Donahue

When the Apple TV 4K was first revealed they showed the feature of never having sign in. Repeatedly. Only once and Apple would remember your password.

6. dguisinger macrumors 6502

One of the reasons I don't use my AppleTV as much anymore..... it constantly is asking me for my iCloud password, and I'm tired of being such a pain in the rear.... if all I want to do is watch a TV show when i pick up the remote, having to deal with password entry just pisses me off... I've got many of the same apps on my Xbox, I just switch inputs and watch it there.

*EDIT*
    I will also add, the stupid touch remote is the worst remote ever. Its symetrical, so if I'm not looking, half the time i pick it up backwards causing it to do something I didn't want as your palm hits the touch surface, and its way too sensitive at times. While its nice that you don't need line of sight with a bluetooth remote, it easily activates between cushions or when you shift how you are seated if you bump it, causing it to exit what you are watching or get stuck on fast forward, etc.... Can we please get a designer at Apple who isn't obsessed with everything being so ****ing thin?

7. thogin macrumors member

thogin

Will this feature work with 3rd party password managers (1Password, LastPass, etc)? Or is it limited to iCloud Keychain?

8. Iconoclysm macrumors 68020

Iconoclysm

Exactly. WTF are these people thinking?
    --- Post Merged, Aug 1, 2018 ---
    Security, your Apple TV is open to anyone.

That can't help you when you download new apps with new passwords or change your passwords.

9. gaximus macrumors 6502a

This is great, but with iOS 12 there are so many times in apps and websites, where I need to create a new password and the autogenerate password option doesn't come up, I should be able to go into settings and manually generate a password.

Also there needs to be a way to customize the random password generator, Apples version doesn't contain any special characters, most sites require one.

10. Alexlfm macrumors newbie

I use a harmony remote (the touchscreen model on one TV, and the good old 650 on another) and it's much better IMO then the horrible ATV remote. Apart from the occasional siri search I don't touch it. Apple actually has full command set (with a few additions) for the harmony remotes and gives you commands for all the regular transit controls (including an actually stop button and skip) as well as much easier access to stuff like back, menu, home, reboot, etc. so you don't have to remember multi button commands. The only issue is since the standard remote doesn't have some of those controls not all apps support them, though most do. For what you can pick a harmony 650 up for now I'd highly recommend it. The harmony series also has a very comprehensive command set for the Xbox as well.

11. mariusignorello macrumors 65816

You’re referring to SSO which is for cable/pay TV apps. Netflix and the likes would be exempt.

12. 2010mini macrumors 68040

my apple tv is only open to those in my family. Strangers don't randomly come over and use my stuff.
    anyone like my wife? She already has access to that Just in case something happens to me. She can access my critical information.

13. The_Grifter macrumors newbie

But it's not symetrical. On the 4K, the Menu button has a raised ring and the +/- buttons are tied together into a single button. The previous generation lacked the rasied Menu ring, but still had the single +/- button. You should be able to tell, by touch, which orientation you're in.