How to use per user screen sharing?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by seanguk, Sep 15, 2011.

1. seanguk macrumors newbie

Apologies if this has been answered before.

I can't figure out how to use per user screen sharing in Lion. When initiating a screen sharing session to the destination mac from my air it always seems to connect to the hardware display for the currently logged on user no matter what I try (creating new accounts, changing settings in the screen sharing prefpane, being logged on to the machine as different users, etc..).

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

2. rsaffi macrumors newbie

I have been struggling with this for the past hour and a half and I have finally made it, so even though yours is a rather old thread, I decided to answer it anyway! :)

When you connect to the remote computer, make sure you're in "Control mode" (alternate between control and observe using <command> + <option> + <x>).
    Once you're in control mode, notice under the "View" menu, there's a "Switch to Virtual Display" option. Select that and enjoy! ;-)

3. turtle777 macrumors 6502a

Ha, thanks, I didn't know that option of switching between Virtual and Hardware display. Kudos.

-t

4. seanguk thread starter macrumors newbie

Dragging this one right up from the past! Only just noticed the responses.

I still haven't figured this out, I have no 'Switch to Virtual Display', even in control mode?

Thanks.

5. mwhities macrumors 6502a

Some other account will need to be logged in console before the virtual desktop screen share option is available.

6. seanguk thread starter macrumors newbie

Seems so obvious when it's pointed out. Thanks!

7. mwhities macrumors 6502a

No problem, I'm glad it works for you.