How to use "properties" on a Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Warrazapha, Dec 25, 2008.

1. Warrazapha macrumors newbie

I'm using the Crossover app to run an old game called Everquest. I want to play on an emulated server, and there are a couple steps needed before you can login to the server. This is the one I'm having trouble figuring out how to do:

Step 5 - Creating Shortcut
    Now, you will need to create a shortcut to launch EverQuest and bypass the EQLive patcher (if this step is not taken, you will launch the patcher and overwrite the EQHost.txt file that you just modified, making you connect to the global EQLive Login Server). To do this, go into your EverQuest directory. Locate the EQGAME.EXE file. Right-click on the file and select "Create Shortcut." You can rename this shortcut and drag it anywhere you'd like (most people like to put it on their desktop). Now, right-click that shortcut and select Properties. In the target box, you will see the path to the eqgame.exe file. We need to edit this so that it will pass an argument to that executable when the shortcut is launched. At the end of the text box (after any parenthases), add "patchme" (no quotes). Your target box should look similar to this:

"C:\Program Files\Everquest\eqgame.exe" patchme

I'm using control click, which brings up a menu similar to the one on my PC but how would I go about finishing this step on this Macbook? Everything is up to date and the OS I'm using is the most recent one.

2. QueenZ macrumors 6502

QueenZ

drag and drop while keeping cmd and option keys pressed

3. allan.nyholm macrumors 6502a

allan.nyholm

Or you can choose the Make Alias option in the right click menu :)

I don't know if this will help but if everything fails after this, then maybe you need to select the alias you just created and rightclick it and choose Get Info. In the new window that opens there an option to Select New Original - which is a place where you can choose the file that will be opened when doubleclicking the alias. I think shourtcuts on a PC with Windows works differently to aliases on a Mac with OS X(Leopard) so maybe the step you follow won't work at all.