How to use rmbp as a desktop

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bluebird3, Aug 16, 2014.

1. bluebird3 macrumors regular

Especially when you want to close the rmbp during use?

2. andyp350 macrumors 6502a

A bit more info about what you want to know would be great but in order to use the rMBP as a desktop with the lid closed you need to have the power adapter connected, otherwise you'll just send it to sleep.

3. bluebird3 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm connecting it to an apple cinema display. Just got an adoptor and it shows up on the screen fine except when you close the lid on rmbp, of course the both screen goes to sleep. I guess if I had a Bluetooth key board connected, the cinema display won't go black even the rmbp lid is closed?

4. Stetrain macrumors 68040

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3131

You need to have the notebook connected to power and an external mouse/keyboard to let you use it with the lid closed.

5. DeltaMac, Aug 16, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2014

DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Clamshell mode:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3131

In a nutshell:
    From your laptop, connect your external display, along with an external keyboard/mouse. Close the lid on the laptop. All goes to sleep.
    Press a key on the external keyboard to wake up your Mac. Only the external screen will light up. And, the internal screen is ignored while the lid is closed.
    As andyp350 pointed out, you need your external power adapter connected.
    It's no longer portable while you use in clamshell mode (but you are using it as a desktop, right?)

6. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

my rMBP sits in a BookArc connected via TB to an ATD. External keyboard, drives, and Ethernet all connect to ATD.

7. jozeppy26 macrumors 6502

jozeppy26