How to use Silverlight (DirecTV Now)

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by Julien, Nov 30, 2016.

1. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Trying to use DirecTV Now but will not play on my Mac (mini 2012). It keeps saying I need to install the Silverlight plugin (so I did). iHowever I can't get DirecTV to play. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

[​IMG]

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

Hmm.. I have Silverlight installed on my rMBP under Chrome. I needed it to run Amazon videos. It wasn't difficult to install, but I don't remember exactly.. Also I was running El capitan, but it still works under Sierra. What version of osx are you using and what browser?

3. KALLT macrumors 601

4. Julien thread starter macrumors G3

Julien

No content blockers. I'm using Chrome now to watch DircTV Now now but would prefer to use Safari.

5. KALLT macrumors 601

Have you restarted Safari? Have you checked their website for a support section? Maybe they have some strict browser checks that don’t support Sierra yet.

Als try changing the user agent in Develop → User Agent to Chrome or something else. You may need to enable the develop menu in Safari preferences → Advanced.

6. rshrugged macrumors 6502a

It runs in 10.11.6, Safari 10.0.1. I did have to empty Safari's caches using the Develop Menu. Safari preferences -> Advanced -> tick - Show Develop Menu in the menu bar.

Also check : Safari Preferences -> Security -> tick - Allow plug-ins AND while there click Plug-in Settings to adjust as necessary.

I haven't tried it in a Sierra install.

7. Julien thread starter macrumors G3

Julien

Have deleted Silverlight plugin from Library and reinstalled several times. Have rebooted Mac several times. MS may need to update Silverlight to be completely compatible.

[​IMG]

8. KALLT macrumors 601

Silverlight is officially end-of-life. If this table is correct, there will be a definite end this year. That would explain why Sierra is not supported.

9. mdlyen macrumors newbie

Silverlight has been deprecated for many years now. I'm amazed that DirectTV would put out a new product that relies on any third party plugin. Plugins are on their way out. Interesting...

10. vintagebob macrumors member

vintagebob

I don't think that you need Silverlight. I don't need Silverlight to use DirecTV NOW on my 2014 Mac Mini. Probably early teething problems and error codes with the service. Mine has improved greatly since release day.

I Hope that yours improves!

11. old-wiz macrumors G3

UGH... Amazon video requires silverlight, but it is running fine for me on 10.12.1 with Chrome

12. Julien thread starter macrumors G3

Julien

Interesting that after not working in Safari since launch it just started today and without a reset. Also I turned off Silverlight to check and it still works (why did it ask for it before???). One negative is Chrome offers a 30 second back/forward (must be built into Chrome) that you lose using Safari unless there is a key combination for it. In Chrome it is Shift+< or Shift+>.