how to use single sent folder with multiple accounts

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jaffar, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Jaffar macrumors newbie

Just switched from PC to MBP. I have five email accounts set up (all IMAP) using Mac Mail. In Preferences I set up all accounts to NOT save sent messages on the server. This means each time I send a message from an account, the sent message is stored in a separate subfolder under the "Sent" folder.

I would prefer to have a single Sent folder for all of my email accounts. However, under Preferences I don't see an option to do this. Seems the only option is either to save the sent message on the IMAP server, or to have it saved in the Sent subfolder for each account.

Any ideas? Thanks.

2. Dave Felix macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

Mine stores in one folder. "Sent" and I can adjust it to see it per each account if I click the arrow. Is that what you mean?

http://i56.tinypic.com/qs4bdl.png

3. Jaffar thread starter macrumors newbie

Dave,

Thanks for your reply. No, the way you are describing is also how mine works. Instead of a Sent folder with the carrot and multiple subfolders (one for each account), I just want a single Sent folder with no subfolders.

Regards, Jaffar

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Click on each account's Sent folder and select Mailbox > Use This Mailbox For > Sent
    You can do the same with Drafts, Junk, Trash, etc.

5. Jaffar thread starter macrumors newbie

When I try this, all four options (drafts, sent, trash, junk) are grayed out, whether I click on the main Sent folder or any of the account subfolders. Even if this was an option, I still don't think it would accomplish what I want. I don't see how this would allow me to specify a single Sent folder for all of my email accounts.

I think I could do what I'm wanting in a very roundabout way (have each account save to Sent IMAP folder on the server, have rules which read the Sent IMAP account and direct all messages into a local folder named Sent) but I was hoping there might be an easier way.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'm not sure why they would be grayed out, but the end result of doing that is you have one Sent folder with subfolders for each account. That way, you can click on the Sent folder and see all sent items, regardless of which account they were sent from, or you can click on an account subfolder and see only items sent from that account. There's no way you can tell one account to use another account's sent folder.

Instead of this:
    Account 1
    > Inbox
    > Drafts
    > Sent

Account 2
    > Inbox
    > Drafts
    > Sent

Account 3
    > Inbox
    > Drafts