How to use speakers + headphones together?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by n8236, May 1, 2010.

1. n8236 macrumors 65816

Hello,

I'm having some trouble having my speakers and headphones working together.

In my prior setup, I've always had my Macbook Pro Line-Out connected to a set of speakers who allowed for my headphones to be jacked into it. I had no problems with this setup as it allowed me to use either one.

Now, I bought a new Logitech G35 headset which has a USB end as opposed to the 1/8" jack, and I have to switch between the speakers and headset via Settings > Sound > Output.

Is there a way to prevent this from happening?:confused:

2. saintpako macrumors newbie

Hm...I think what you are referring here is pretty normal. For all USB headset connected to a Mac OS, you have to select the audio driver from settings, since the analog output jack doesn't know if you have anything connecting to it, so if you have a USB headset connected, and you still want to use your analog jack for your desktop speakers, I recommend you buy a USB adaptor and plug your speaker into it.

In any case, a USB adaptor works better on a Mac, since if gives you a secondary microphone input, aside from the default microphone of your MBP.

Check this out, they make some decent computer headsets. Logitechs are overrated and overpriced man.

Pako :apple:

3. n8236 thread starter macrumors 65816

For OSX, I have found a way to switch between my usb headset and speakers. You simply hold alt and click the speaker icon on the status bar. Then, you can choose which output source u want.

As for Windows, I haven't looked, but I'm sure there are apps for this too!