Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
I find this is pointless on a Mac, particularly with the ability to hide the top bar (my favorite El Cap feature).

Between that and multiple desktops, I find the splitty-whatever both unintuitive and cumbersome.

zzLZHzz

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
Windows 7 can do what you say, but it is a little bit awkward. Because you need to drag window for each individual app separately, rather than dragging a slider to adjust both.
Windows 8 one is more designed for modern apps, not conventional desktop apps.

Hmm. I use it sometimes. But 1366*768 cannot do much about this feature.

This might be more useful when I have a Mac with 15" or much bigger screen, while screen resolution goes over 1080P.

it seem that Windows 10 has bring back the auto resizing if you resize one app, the other app will also resize in the november update
http://www.theverge.com/2015/11/13/9727870/microsoft-windows-10-november-update-hidden-features

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
I use this quite a lot, but the windows version is better - especially since you don't have to go full screen. I wish you could have a three window configuration.

chinajon

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2006
China
Most comments are missing a major point. The app window is not being dragged to the side of your desktop. It is being put into a new temporary screen which can be shared with another document window. It does not snap to the side of the desktop. There are no icons, dock, menus or other desktop items. This is a perfect way to implement a small project window in which you want to use two documents. After you are fiished, just click the green dot and the temporary screen goes away and you are returned to your desktop. You can move freely between the temporary screen and permenant desktops that you have set up previously. It just sits there waiting for you to return.
One other thing. You can just drag a doc window to the screen top to put it in its own temporary workspace.
And last, the items in the temp files are named when you check your spaces. For example "Pages and Finder"

philosopherdog

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2008
Apple definitely borked on this one. They should have just copied Windows. Dragging a window by a little button is so rediculous. Terrible. The whole windowing system is a total mess. Why can't you name desktops for instance? I dislike the way maxed windows are made the final desktop. That doesn't make sense from the user facing side.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.