How to use Studio Display with ADC with DVI or VGA?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by InfoTime, Jan 11, 2010.

1. InfoTime macrumors 6502

I have a 17" Apple Studio Display (LCD) with the ADC connector (I think). The computer does not have a matching connector for the monitor. It has a video card with a VGA and DVI port. Is there an inexpensive way to get the cpu and the display to work together?

2. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

you need an ADC to DVI adapter. These usually cost around $100.

At that rate, it is generally a better option to just buy a newer, bigger, better monitor for not much more.

3. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

The problem is that the ADC displays don't have power supplies built in. That's why the adapters cost so much. When I got a new MacPro, I decided I liked my 20" ADC display enough to spring for the adapter (I think I got it for about $90, maybe at NewEgg). If it had been a 17" display, I think I would have bought a new display.

4. quantum003 macrumors 6502a

quantum003

What type of Mac? If it's a G5 you might be able to pick up a good video card with ADC for less than the price of an adapter.

5. InfoTime thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the responses so far...

The machine is a Power Mac G4 (blue) 450 MHz with 256 MB RAM. I started another thread about the machine itself:

I'm working on this for a friend who got it from her boss as a hand-me-down. She's had it in storage for a couple of years. She told me she thought they were a system (monitor and computer) but the connectors don't match up.