Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

X42-Negative

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2010
So I purchased a stereo output to composite red/white cables. I then plugged the HDMI and composites cables into the receiver, but the it reads only the HDMI (which should include audio and video), or composite (yellow, red, white). If you have HDMI plugged it, it doesn't read from the composite, and vise-versa. So how exactly can I fix this? Why doesn't Apple have the HDMI contain audio and video (like most things, PS3, 360, consoles)? This is really odd and I cannot really use it as a home theatre system at the moment. I was hoping that it wasn't my receivers fault (2008 fancy Denon receiver, cost a few grand), but if it was to find some kind of converter that takes HDMI and stereo out, and outputs it as HDMI with audio/video.

Sorry for the long paragraph, but I needed to explain my situation. If you have any ideas, please feel free to post them here.

X42-Negative

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2010
Make sure that on the input settings of the receiver you make it default to the hdmi for audio (under "mode" I think) and make sure you have the correct hdmi set for the input. I gather you have a new 2010 mini.
Alright, I'll try that, and yes I have the 2010 mini.

X42-Negative

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2010
Okay, I have another problem:

When I plug it into my TV, I have sound and video, just not the best picture. What I mean is that it's rotated maybe 2 degrees, so everything is rotated a little. Besides that, part of each side of the screen is completely "off" the screen unless I use underscan. If I use underscan then I can get it almost perfect, except for the rotation(?). The sides also have a few inches that are just "black" if I want to get the menu bar aligned with the top of the TV. That leaves another inch or so on the bottom that is just black and cannot move my mouse there.

What's going on? Why is the display rotated and never fits the screen perfectly when my PS3 is 1080p and fits perfectly. Also, why did Apple not transmit audio through the HDMI-out?

For the price I paid for this "low-end" Mac, I should have none of these current problems I have.

IMG_6220.JPG

IMG_6221.JPG

IMG_6222.JPG

IMG_6223.JPG

IMG_6224.JPG

IMG_6225.JPG

kellen

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA
Use /timg for the images, difficult to see them.

There is a program for getting the video output perfect for the TV. Can't remember the name.

Try 123macmini.com, it was a great benefit to me when I had a mini hooked up to the TV.

X42-Negative

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2010
I'll look on there, thanks.

Also I figured there was a image thumb but didn't know it, thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.