Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
can someone explain how to do it ?

I made a video guide for Feral customers to show them how to sync PS3 pads for use in our newer games, it is a step by step guide to connecting a PS3 Pad to a Mac.

You will need:

• 10.6 Snow Leopard*
  • PS3 Gamepad
  • USB charging cable for PS3 gamepad
  • Bluetooth enabled on your Mac

Video Guide on how to sync your PS3 Pad

* Does not appear to work in 10.5, the pad will sync but will not work in games.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
it doesn't work

I tested this in 10.5.8 following my video instructions and the PS3 pad appears in my paired bluetooth items.

When you say it does not work do you mean it does not pair with your Mac (and appear in the bluetooth devices list) or do you mean that it does not work in the game you are trying?

I took it one step further and checked the PS3 pad on one brand new Feral demo of Mini Ninjas and the PS3 pad only works in 10.6, you can get it to sync in 10.5 but it does not work in the game. I am pretty certain this is because 10.5 bluetooth support is not as good as 10.6 Snow Leopard.

Edwin

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Support may vary from game to game but I know at Feral we will be supporting the PS3 pad on all our newer games. We will add support in the older games (if their are any issues) when we patch them. I think most games should work fine but they may have the odd side effect.

If you have issues with any Feral game just contact support or send me a PM

Edwin

Bruce.Lee

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2010
Support may vary from game to game but I know at Feral we will be supporting the PS3 pad on all our newer games. We will add support in the older games (if their are any issues) when we patch them. I think most games should work fine but they may have the odd side effect.

If you have issues with any Feral game just contact support or send me a PM

Edwin

Does your game support vibration? I am thinking download some one.

bo-waleed

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2009
I tested this in 10.5.8 following my video instructions and the PS3 pad appears in my paired bluetooth items.

When you say it does not work do you mean it does not pair with your Mac (and appear in the bluetooth devices list) or do you mean that it does not work in the game you are trying?

I took it one step further and checked the PS3 pad on one brand new Feral demo of Mini Ninjas and the PS3 pad only works in 10.6, you can get it to sync in 10.5 but it does not work in the game. I am pretty certain this is because 10.5 bluetooth support is not as good as 10.6 Snow Leopard.

Edwin

it doesn't pair with my mac appear in the bluetooth device list
i am using 10.5.8

where exactly i have to connect it via bluetooth ??
in the bluetooth preference ? or by clicking ''any device'' when searching ??

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Does your game support vibration? I am thinking download some one.

No the vibration is not part of the standard input specification so it would need a licensed driver to work correctly.

it doesn't pair with my mac appear in the bluetooth device list
i am using 10.5.8

where exactly i have to connect it via bluetooth ??
in the bluetooth preference ? or by clicking ''any device'' when searching ??

Follow the video exactly and it will appear in the bluetooth menu when you remove the usb cable. However as I mentioned above 10.5.8 does not fully support the pad you will need 10.6.

Edwin

lifespeachy

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2006
Not working

Game: Mini Ninja
Platform: Mac OSX 10.6.4
Gamepad: PS3 Dual Action

Problem: Recently, I purchase the PS3 gamepad to play Mini Ninjas, after reading the posts on here, there seems to be glich. I was able to get my mac to find it perfectly fine and I'm not sure what is wrong. I go to change from the keyboard to the controller and when I press the circle button the game pad it does one of two things

1. When it is done in the opening screen before the game is even started (I think it's called a splash screen, where you can still exit or change profiles). Trying to change it here results in black screen, with leaves and music, but am unable to play.
2. I tried it also after starting the game and all I get is a white screen and music.

In both cases, the screen telling me what all the buttons do comes up before selecting the circle . Is there something I am doing incorrectly?

*I have also sent this to Ferral support, but thought this might be faster.*

lifespeachy

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2006
Not Working

So I think I might have figured out at least where the problem is, the game keeps having glitches I will try to reinstall but I've tried this on other games and it doesn't usually work. Here's hoping!!!!

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
So I think I might have figured out at least where the problem is, the game keeps having glitches I will try to reinstall but I've tried this on other games and it doesn't usually work. Here's hoping!!!!

I am pretty sure we solved your problem via our support email channel. I believe the issue was related to system spec or having multiple pads installed.

Edwin

lifespeachy

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2006
I am pretty sure we solved your problem via our support email channel. I believe the issue was related to system spec or having multiple pads installed.

Edwin

Yes thank you it works perfectly and I feel a little silly for not thinking of it myself. Thank you again.

lifespeachy

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2006
Will this work with third party PS3 controllers or is it limited to the DS3?

I am unsure what a DS3 controller is. I had a Wireless Logitech Rumblepad connect to my iMac and it was interfering with the bluetooth on the PS3 controller.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.