how to use Time Machine properly?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Reach9, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Hey guys

Recently my MBP 13" that i got in mid 2010 has started lagging pretty badly. Even with MacKeeper's help, maybe it has some bug or something?
    I'm thinking of doing a complete reinstall, and i've backed everything up on Time Machine.

I was thinking, could i move some files that i have from now to when i bought the laptop (August 2010)? If so, how do i do that?

Or if i chose to do a fresh reinstall of the OS and i pick August 2010 as my restore point, will i lose everything that comes after it?

What would be the best thing to do? I'd appreciate any help!

2. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

great !

start here.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its easy because apple makes it easy.

Step 1. Get/connect an external drive to your mac
    Step 2. allow TM to use the drive when prompted or configure it to use it in the preference pane.
    Step 2a (optional) select any folders you wish to exclude from the backup
    Step 3. allow it to back up

Its as easy as that. Being an apple product you really have little choice in the configuration while some people may chafe under the lack of configuration. It makes setting up and using pretty much idiot proof.

4. robgendreau macrumors 68040

Uh, it seems the OP wants to know whether to restore from an existing backup on TM, correct?

If you reformat your main drive and re-install system software, you can restore from your TM backup.

But before you do that you should figure out why your system is slowing down. Simply picking a point in the past at random to return to won't help unless you get lucky. You could march forward through several iterations of your system to see what got it to slow down but that's going to be an extremely slow process.

So I'd be more specific about your machine's lack of performance and try to diagnose what's going wrong before you go to all the hassle of replacing your system software.

Rob

5. Reach9 thread starter macrumors 68020

Reach9

You're right Rob, I really don't know what's wrong and i feel that i'm being denied that speed everyone else's MacBook Pro has.

If you could help me out that would be great since i'm a new Mac owner. I posted a thread here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1126190