How to use Time Machine to Restore new MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by willpoker, Aug 2, 2008.

1. willpoker macrumors newbie

I have been using an iMac for awhile and was running Time Machine on it. Recently I backed everything up on Time Machine one last time before deleting everything, having Time Machine disconnected, and buying a MacBook, that will arrive in about 1 week.

My question pertains to how, if possible, to take Time Machine from my iMac and "restore" my new MacBook. I want everything to be on my new laptop the same way that it was on my iMac. Is this even possible?

A side note is that I bought my MacBook from Apple online with iWork pre-installed, is the restore going to effect this? Thanks for the help!

2. WillJS macrumors 65816

WillJS

When you start up your Mac for the first time, it will ask you if you want to restore and will give you a couple of options (TM is one). Plug in the drive, hit go, and your set.

3. willpoker thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the help

Thanks. Do you know if it will effect the software that Apple is pre-installing for me? That is probably one of the biggest issues that I have. I don't want to have to deal with Apple on getting my programs back.

4. willpoker thread starter macrumors newbie

Perfect

Just to let everyone out there know, I got my MacBook and the process was seamless. Time Machine asked me what I want to have installed and it did its thing. Sure it took a little time, but all of my application's, music, pictures, etc. was transferred without a hitch. Even the programs that I bought pre-installed on my new Mac worked just fine. They did not require me to re-install them or anything. Awesome job Apple!!