How to use two external screens for MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Ramius, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Ramius macrumors 6502

Im nearly done with the process of converting to a Mac-existence, with no PC.

But right now, my PC has the advantage thats its connected to my primary monitor, and my HDTV.

I want to do this on my Macbook. Which in theory means triple screens.
    However, I will only use two of them, and keep the Macbook closed up.

The unibody 2008 version has one mini display port. And thats it, and I want to connect this machine to two external screens. How can I pull this off, what do I need?

Is there some sort of Minidisplayport - dual dvi cable?
    Or an adapter that converts one single dvi, to two dvis?

2. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

You'll need to use something like the following: http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/gxm/dh2go/ in order to achieve this. It can get pretty expensive to set up, but it depends on how much you want it. :) Ps, if you go this route, you'll need to buy yourself a mini-displayport - DVI cable too.

3. Ramius thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I had a look at those, and they are too expensive.

Isnt there some sort of cable that can solve this problem?
    Considering the mini display port is infact digital, why cant Apple make a cable with two outputs?

How about this dvi cable right here:
    [​IMG]

4. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

Unfortunately you either need to cough up the cash or go without. That cable will not work. Firstly, any DVI splitter will require a dual-link DVI, http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MB571Z/A?mco=MTY3ODQ5OTY which will cost a considerable amount to not even work properly. Once you were to use that, you'll have the further problem of needing to have identical screen resolutions capable on both monitors. Thirdly, the Mac won't be able to understand they're seperate monitors and will treat them as one, causing all sorts of problems with applications. In all, that cheap solution is worthless and would create an experience that no one should have to endure.

5. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

The DualHead2Go DP edition is what'll work. I just saw a thread in the Pro forum with a MBP using that and he said it works great.

That'll work easier than converting to DVI and using the DVI model I seem to remember.

6. Ramius thread starter macrumors 6502

Is there no cheaper alternative? Its so expensive.

7. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

That's about it. Any cable based solution is just going to duplicate your screen to both screens.

If you want to display unique images on both external monitors from one hardware port, you need hardware to accomplish that.

8. Ramius thread starter macrumors 6502

Clone-view is not a bad option either. What do I need to make this happen? Will there be FPS-problems?

9. kyzen macrumors regular

10. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

If you want both external monitors to show the exact same image, all you need is a MDP-->DVI dongle and a DVI Y-cable.

The issue here though that comes up is that both monitors have to display the same resolution.

11. aliyahmartin macrumors newbie

Y cables and adapter are a waste and they don't work. I would recommend using a active DVI Splitter. You can check KVMSwitchTech as they offer DVI Splitter and DVI Matrix solutions.

12. robvas macrumors 68020

Slow but they work.

13. Turbojuice macrumors newbie

If I was to be using the USB display and the thunderbolt to DVI at the same time would I still be able to use both monitors when clamshelled?