Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipoppy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2006
UK
Hi,
I am new to these things and I wanted to try Unison, since apparently is the best app for this. The problem is, as I mentioned already, I am new to this stuff and I don't really know what to do. Primarily I wanted to share different files over the network since torrents are becoming sometimes dangerous thing those days. So after downloading and paying for app along with subscription for panic server I am kind of stuck. No tutorial comes with it.
How to find particular file? Do I have to go through every single category in search of that file. Or is there some search engine which going through all groups? How to set the program so it can show me all unloaded files and quickly go through them?
Basically, is there any tutorial for this app?
Thanks

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
I think you need information on Usenet more than anything else.

Basically Usenet is a collection of groups which have a certain subject. If for instance you want to read about macs you would tell go to the Usenet group comp.sys.mac.apps and the topic will be Mac applications.

Basically all you need to do is click on the "All Groups" tab in Unison and type in a search term for a particular topic you are interested in and Unison will show you a filtered list of all the groups that have that term in their name. It'll take you a little while to find all the groups you want but when you do you'll never go back to anything else.

Edit: When it comes to renewing your Usenet subscription I would recommend going with Giganews instead. They are pretty much the bees knees when it comes to Usenet servers.

ipoppy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2006
UK
Thanks for explanation. I have tried UseNext as well and their free app got this function of search through all groups at once. I guess its different network all together or something and this app is assign only to that group; sorry for lack of knowledge.
Now I have realised that Unison is only Mac program which can be used to connect to different groups via subscription (password with username) and not only panic server!!! Silly me. I will try Giganews as soon as this subscription expire. Also i am thinking about http://www.astraweb.com/ since they got payasyougo system which is handy as long their subscription can be attached to Unison.
What I am not happy about is only that search option which could go through all newsgroups. But I guess its not possible and I will have to manually search all groups as you pointed out.
Thanks again for guidance.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Now I have realised that Unison is only Mac program which can be used to connect to different groups via subscription (password with username) and not only panic server!!! Silly me. ...
Silly you, indeed. What you just realized is totally untrue. There are many USENET clients for the Mac--both standalone and with USENET access combined with other functions. You can find them here, there, and other places.

The server that you log into is merely a gateway to a vast array of groups all over the World. There is nothing special about any specific server. If you access the Internet through a commercial ISP, then it is likely that it has an NNTP server for its customers' use. Use it. If not, then use any other myriad free servers out there. I have no idea what is so hard about this that you need a tutorial. Get on, explore, and learn.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.