How to use Verizon iPhone 4 in Turkey?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jkyle2, Jun 27, 2013.

1. jkyle2 macrumors newbie

I'm heading to Turkey in a few weeks for a trip that will last about 6 weeks. I have a Verizon iPhone 4, so I can't do the typically-suggested "replace the SIM card" thing since there are no SIM cards (right?). I have a couple questions:
    1) Will I be charged for using my iPhone in WiFi spots? Or is it the same as in the USA, where there's not a charge?
    2) I'll be away from WiFi access for the majority of my trip (the last 4 weeks). Is there any way to use my phone during this time? Verizon doesn't seem to serve Turkey...any ideas?
    Thanks!

2. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

Verizon uses CDMA, there is no SIM card. Im sure all of Turkey is serviced by GSM, like the rest of Europe. You cannot use your Verizon iPhone 4 on any cell network while you are there. Totally incompatible. The only thing you can do is use it on wifi only, where available. You wont get charged for any kind of fees while on wifi.

3. anaqvi786 macrumors regular

Turkey has some CDMA networks (I've been there many times), but due to the lack of a physical SIM card, the phone will just say "Extended".
    There will be standard roaming charges per minute.