Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

8000XE

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2015
Like you, my work prevents me from using Outlook on my personal iPhone and, therefore, I'm forced to rely on the O365 website. While I'd love it if the O365 web app fully supported push notifications using the web app, I'm not sure it would be useful for me and likely many others, as my work automatically signs me out of the O365 website after a ridiculously short period of time --- I think 10 minutes.
Fortunately I can keep my login session for 24 hours - but I understand your scenario also

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
Perhaps the greatest is losing the last of a sense of "ownership" of an app. The app owner can effectively pull it at any time. They can change the look and feel at will. The concept of ownership has eroded over the decades but this effectively ends it (should it become the norm). Essentially we're returning to the days of the raise-floor, glass-walled centralized computer room. But this is best left for another thread.

Good point. Would be nice if a caching mechanism were built in to webapp platforms to allow things to be "semi-installed." Would alleviate that issue and allow people to retain what they have. Still, that would really only work for self-contained apps that don't rely on any kind of remote back-end that could be changed or shut down.

Reactions: sracer

PixelatedDad

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2020
TL: DR it took me a little while to work out how to get my PWA to show push messages.

They need to be enabled. I assume this is because it’s still beta and experimental.

In ios16.4 -
Go to Settings -> Safari -> Advanced -> Experimental Features and make sure Push API, Service Workers and Notifications are all enabled. I am assuming these will be enabled by default as IOS16.4 gets public releases…

Also the PWA has to be installed to the Home Screen. Not just viewed via safari.

I wrote up a post on my site about my findings (Link in my Profile)

James51

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2023
As a tech company, we've been exploring the possibility of replacing SMS notifications with Push notifications. We've noticed that dental practices, for instance, spend over $600 a month on SMS notifications for appointment updates like confirmations, bookings, advice, and late messages. By switching to Push notifications, these practices could potentially save a substantial amount of money. While we understand that implementing this change would require users to download our booking web app, it's worth noting that many other companies, such as Uber Eats and Uber, have successfully implemented similar approaches. So why not us?

MacFarmer

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2022
Is there a web app for Youtube? I mean, if there is a page that automatically has youtube ad bocking enabled. This is the only feature I'm looking the most in iPhone. :D Youtube ads are getting ridiculous. On the other hand, it is good - I now watch way less of it. :D

redbeard331

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
TL: DR it took me a little while to work out how to get my PWA to show push messages.

They need to be enabled. I assume this is because it’s still beta and experimental.

In ios16.4 -
Go to Settings -> Safari -> Advanced -> Experimental Features and make sure Push API, Service Workers and Notifications are all enabled. I am assuming these will be enabled by default as IOS16.4 gets public releases…

Also the PWA has to be installed to the Home Screen. Not just viewed via safari.

I wrote up a post on my site about my findings (Link in my Profile)

Thank you for this, none of the tech sites explain any of these things, I went into my settings and found most this stuff turned off. Haven’t been able to get web push notifications to work yet, I’ll see if this does the trick!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.