How to use your computer in closed clamshell mode with an external display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tex-Twil, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Hi,
    I tried ti use this guide to run my mbp in clamshell mode with an external display but it doesn't work. My MBP goes to sleep, I wake it up with an external keyboard, the external display show everything fine but after 5 sec the mbp goes back to sleep :confused:

What am I doing wrong ?

cheers

2. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

I have a 2010 macbook pro I see you have a i7 model so it should be similar

1. have you set your macbook to be woken up via bluetooth device such as a keyboard or a mouse?

2. Did you keep the charger plugged in when the macbook is closed trying to wake the system?

3. Sometimes with mine once I close it and select hdmi channel and the data retrieves to find the macbook pro. It finds nothing than I just hit space bar on my keyboard and it works perfect.

3. Tex-Twil thread starter macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

I think this was the problem. I was running the mbp on the battery.

thanks.

Btw, I'm connecting the display with a mini display port - hdmi adapter and I have to reboot the mac so that the screen picks up a signal. Is this "normal" ?

cheers
    Tex

4. xristos macrumors newbie

xristos

+1

I use an external LCD monitor half the time via DVI. I have a blue-tooth Apple wireless keyboard & 3-rd party wireless mouse. I mirror the displays & dim the brightness on the the macbook screen all the way off. When I see users pic's of their macbook setup's, I see the lids closed. I haven't tried to wake it up by tapping the wireless KB or mouse. I'll try it in the morning.

@Tex... the external display should be picked up right away. I went into my system preferences/ keyboard & checked the option to see the display notifier on my notification bar. From there I setup my external display.

5. miami013 macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

hello tex and curious to know which mini port/hdmi adapter you're using - seems like the only one I have been able to find locally is one made by moshi and they seem to be getting sketchy reviews...

6. Pballer110 macrumors 6502

try monoprice.com

7. Zman5225 macrumors 6502a

Another vote for monoprice.com

I got mine there and it works like a champ and costs a fraction of the OEM one from Apple.

8. laser71 macrumors regular

If you have a mouse/keyboard attached, you can use the computer in clamshell mode.

Moshi HDMI adapter works fine for me plug it in and it "just works", so no complaints.

9. duffer6 macrumors 6502

Nope set your monitor to detect the signal to HDMI manually not auto. Then you should be set. A lot of monitors look for DVI first then HDMI under auto scan.

10. Tex-Twil thread starter macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

I do have my display set to HDMI input. My adapter is a SendStation.

cheers,
    Tex