How to Use Your iPad as a Second Screen for Your Mac

Discussion in 'Guides, How Tos and Reviews' started by MacRumors, Dec 6, 2018.

1. JSway macrumors regular

I need to update it! Keep forgetting I have this app installed. Although the annual subscription is a bummer for more features.

2. rahulda1 macrumors member

We support iPad Pro? And the base app is one time.

3. masteroflondon macrumors regular

Do you know if it works when Mac and iPad are wifi tethered to the iPhone?

4. McG2k1 macrumors regular

I wish there was a way to use the iPad as a mini client monitor for post production. Not as a second desktop screen, but something directly out of the hdmi port from a black majic or Aja I/O.

5. Chabba macrumors regular

Did they ever resolve the AirPlay issue?
    I bought this May 2016, and got a refund after I learned it broke AirPlay. The developer confirmed if you use Duet, you cannot use AirPlay to an Apple TV, which is why I got my refund.

6. 4jasontv macrumors 65816

10.5 iPad Pro and 2009 MBP. I’m getting well under 20 FPS. I am guessing single digit frames.

7. eyeseeyou macrumors 68030

I use it often. Truly makes the ipad an "in between" product from the iphone to the macbook.

8. shareef777, Dec 6, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2018

shareef777 Suspended

shareef777

Edit: Nevermind, reboots were tied to iTunes syncs, not the Duet app.

9. KPOM macrumors G5

The new version released yesterday works well. No more need for the Airplay workaround. Actually, the latest release was in November, but it depended on changes to Mojave that came through with yesterday’s update, so try it after you’ve updated the OS.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 6, 2018 ---
    I have. It works very well. The only glitch I had was setting it up on the Mac. I downloaded the latest file from the website. After I installed it and rebooted, it wanted to re-install it when I started Duet. I realized I had to grant permission in System Preferences>Security & Privacy>General to “Rahul Dawal” in order for it to finish installing. Apparently he’s the developer of Duet. But since then it seems to be working well.
    The old version used AirPlay as a workaround. The new version no longer needs to.

10. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

I'm just able to use mirroring mode. When I set the resolution for the second display, the iPad screen freezes. Any ideas?

11. KPOM macrumors G5

Make sure you update the iPad app, as well. Set the resolution, etc from within Duet rather than System Preferences.

12. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

Just downloaded the iPad app (2.0.3.8), however the iPad is still on iOS 11. Perhaps it has something to do...

13. stockseer, Dec 6, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2018

stockseer macrumors newbie

stockseer

went thru the update process today; including a restart; and works terrific. First time I've really liked it! However I made sure to upgrade my MacBookPro OSX Mojave (new update yesterday); IOS for the iPad Pro and only then did I attempt to update DUET, which was tough until I actually followed the instructions in this article; and downloaded from duet.com website; and then came the restart. Anyway all good.

PS.. thank you MCRumors.. this was a very useful article and update; as I struggled with Duet on a recent European trip and now I feel better-prepared for the next journey.
    Exactly right. Works great. And although I use AirPlay for some purposes; the direct connection (iPad Pro to MacBook Pro) is really great for (as an example) using on a cruise ship or sharing a hotspot creating 2 screens for my stock market work and it is really helpful. (I think I meant to reply to a different post; not my own lol.. however the point is as long as you update IOS 'and' MAC first; then do the DUET update, it works great.)

14. Invisible Elf macrumors member

I am unable to choose a higher resolution on my iPad Pro 11 inch with duet. It gives me a huge black bar at the bottom of the screen, and the text looks blurry. I have updated everything to the newest version.

15. Kynmore macrumors member

Kynmore

Only time I've had any lag was once I had installed Mojave. This new versions takes it back to how it was with almost no lag. Only time I see lag is when first connecting and using 1080p resolution. 720 works great, but this is also an Air2 it runs off my 2013 rMBP. Newer hardware has less issues.

16. ZMacintosh macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

honestly with the USB-C iPad Pros, this should be a built-in function. Plug in with USB-C and option to use an external display with touch or pencil support.

Still trying to find a good alternative to Wacom, which their drivers are hit or miss and most of their products are clunky in the Cintiq line-up.

17. masteroflondon macrumors regular

This article says version v2.0.3.8+. My copy of the app says it (version 2.0.1.5) is the newest available. The Duet web site says 'Latest Mac - 2.0.0.17'. I found exactly the same muddle back when Duet pretended it was a functional product on their website even when it wasn't.

Luna arriving soon!

18. KPOM macrumors G5

I downloaded 2.0.3.8 from Duet’s website.

19. Macalway, Dec 7, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2018

Macalway macrumors 68030

There's some issue with the app update for Mac. Just click the link for the desktop version at the website, and it will download the new version. When I checked for an update within the app itself, it was not giving me the right info.

I was confused myself. You don't want to miss this update. It's like a new app.

20. Gudd macrumors member

Gudd

THIS!!! THANK YOU!!!

Whilst it was stated in the article it was quite easy to miss (I did!). I was here wondering why duet was still a laggy, buggy, crashing mess that still relied on AirPlay. I've not followed the news much this week so didn't know there was a new version of MacOS out.

After updating MacOS to 10.14.2 and reinstalling Duet (the newer version) my ancient iPad 2 is back to being a usable 2nd (actually, 3rd since I have eGPU) screen again. I'm sure the performance would be better if I wasn't using such an ancient iPad but seriously, it's not a laggy mess any more and it is back to being quite usable.

Personally I use it so that I can have access to the Touch Bar of my 2017 MBP when I'm using an external keyboard. I really miss the Touch Bar otherwise.

21. mijail, Dec 9, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2018

mijail macrumors 6502a

I want to cry when I think that there's people commenting this self-assuredly while evidently having no fricking idea.

Current user here. Using an external monitor with Display Port, PLUS an iPad Pro with Duet Display. Both show the same lag: not noticeable.

The absurd thing is that there *are* things to complain about in Duet, but latency?
    Why don't you even try to get a clue before commenting?
    --- Post Merged, Dec 9, 2018 ---
    Annual fee? What are you talking about? I bought the app about 2 years ago and I never paid again.

Regarding latency, you're the second commenter mentioning that. But I have a DP-connected monitor while also using Duet, and the latency looks the same to my naked eye in both displays. Care to record a short video or something to show that terrible latency?

Resolution - yes, something has been screwy for a long time, in that most options give you a black band at the bottom. I submitted a bug long ago, and I don't remember ever getting an answer. However, in practice the best resolution for me (which keeps similar Retina DPI to my other 2 displays) does cover most of the screen, so I've been able to ignore the problem.

22. briank73 macrumors newbie

I have similar issues with iPad Pro 2017 - I have installed a tool to set the exact resolution I want (RDM - sets the resolution of the MBP Retina and the iPad seperately), it looks like it is working or me...
    --- Post Merged, Dec 17, 2018 ---
    I do not agree. I needed extra tooling (e.g., RDM) to set a proper resolution worth working with (to avoid blurring)...

23. KPOM macrumors G5

Make sure you are downloading the latest version and have updated Mojave to the latest version, as well. Go onto the Duet homepage and download from the link there (don't go to the support page or try to update from within an earlier version).
    --- Post Merged, Dec 17, 2018 ---
    Make sure you are running the latest version of Mojave. They got it working now. It works well with Windows 10, though it does eat up a lot of GPU power (my work PC has the UHD 620 integrated graphics).

24. mrow macrumors regular

In a sense these people have good points though. WTF, why can’t they get the internal updater in the app to detect and install this new version? I imagine there are many more people out there that still think it’s broken because they opened the app, went to the menu, checked for updates, and it said there was none.

This is pretty shoddy on Duet’s behalf and reflects pretty poorly on them. I know the previous problems were out of their hands but come on, you can’t get your own updater to work?

25. Invisible Elf macrumors member

Turns out that I did not have Mojave installed at all (I really thought I did). Also I had to redownload the app from the website. It works much better now!! The only remmaining complaint I have is that the app does not utilize the full screen on my 11 inch iPad Pro (much like many other apps)