How to use your own SMS alert on iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ideal.dreams, Jan 28, 2011.

1. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

Before I start, I apologize if there is another thread with the same question - I tried searching MRoogle and found nothing and I also did a forum search.

I'd like to know if it's possible to use a custom SMS alert sound instead of the preloaded ones. The majority of the preloaded ones are extremely annoying, and the ones that aren't are used by everyone with an iPhone. Considering we have 4 iPhone's in the family, and we each use the same sound, no one knows who's phone is getting a text or not.

I know it's possible some way, I just don't have the knowledge of how to actually do it.

Can someone please explain how I can get my own custom SMS alert on to my iPhone 4? It's jailbroken via GreenPoison and is running 4.1

Thanks...

2. Missjenna macrumors 6502a

Missjenna

3. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

What did you type when you search? I did a search and found LOTS of threads about it. Try search "custom SMS tone" in forum search.

4. IMADV8 macrumors member

I believe Winterboard can do this as well, but I prefer to replace the default alerts, myself:
    1. Convert the desired audio file to AIFF format. iTunes can do this.
    2. Rename the file from example.aif to sms-received1.caf. Changing the numeral will change which default alert is replaced.
    3. SSH into the iPhone, and go to "System\Library\Audio\UIsounds".
    4. Back up the default text alert to your computer.
    5. Copy your new text alert to the iPhone, overwriting the original.

5. freedevil macrumors 6502a

freedevil

6. crovian macrumors regular

ya i don't think you searched properly.
    i found it within seconds with google

7. prestomusic macrumors regular

8. lafemmme macrumors newbie

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there are a few programs for purchase in Cydia. I've trial one a while ago and has since forgotten the name. Just do a quick hunt.

9. dgamer84 macrumors regular

You can also use iTunes to create your ringtone. Then use a program called iPhone browser to go into your phone and change the SMS tone. Don't know if your able to use iPhonebrowser on Mac though.

10. Love Juice macrumors regular

you can also ssh into your phone and change one of the presets making sure to leave the original filename of the phone the same. just make sure whatever file you are using is converted to aiff format. only thing w/ this is that the file when selecting (electronic, horn, etc) will remain the same, and only the sound will change.