How to verify Sudden Motion Sensor works for my HDD?

hzxu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 17, 2008
Recently I upgraded my Mid 2012 Macbook Pro's HDD to a Hitachi Travelstar 7k1000 1TB HDD, one thing I noticed is that in case of vibration, there is no "clicking" sound from HDD, with old HDD I can always hear it when vibrating, so I downloaded a command line program called ASMTracker, it shows my SMS is initialised and shows it's values, but I'm a bit worried that it does not actually park the head of HDD in vibration. Is there anyway to verify it? I know the SMART tool, can I see any evidence by comparing any of the SMART values before and after vibration?

Thanks!

simonsi

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Recently I upgraded my Mid 2012 Macbook Pro's HDD to a Hitachi Travelstar 7k1000 1TB HDD, one thing I noticed is that in case of vibration, there is no "clicking" sound from HDD, with old HDD I can always hear it when vibrating, so I downloaded a command line program called ASMTracker, it shows my SMS is initialised and shows it's values, but I'm a bit worried that it does not actually park the head of HDD in vibration. Is there anyway to verify it? I know the SMART tool, can I see any evidence by comparing any of the SMART values before and after vibration?

Thanks!
How do you test the airbags in your car? Seriously do you want to cause an event that by definition the SMS sensor defines as potentially harmful to the HDD just to test the head parking:confused:

Just assume the head park is very quiet, everything about my HGST 1TB is VERY quiet...

rapicell

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2013
The sensor should be on by default, at least for MacBooks that have HDDs as the original drive.