Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 3, 2002
Hello everyone,
my girlfriend just purchased a CDi thinking that we would be able to view the content on our computer...however, i cant seem to find a player (application) that will handle this type of outdated format. Does anyone here know how we would be able to convert this CDi to a viewable format? Or perhaps an application that might support the CDi?

Thank you for your help.

I'm running Panther and she has Windows XP.

Thank you beatle888

happy holidays

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Dec 3, 2003
Wow....CDi...that is INDEED an old format. I'll do a little looking around and see what I can find for you.

Edit: Okay, I did a quick search and all I found was a CDi emulator for windows that plays nothing but "Rise of the Robots"...so....I don't think you're going to have much luck.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
I remember seeing those commercials for the CDi way back in the day during my early morning insomnia attacks at 4 am with the guy who was looking for the meaning of life. ;)

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 3, 2002
well, thanks to the two of you for the info. i'll purchase with more caution in the future. thanks again and happy holidays.

beatle

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Don't give up quite yet; there's at least a couple other things you can try.

As I understand it, a CDi (which uses a format called "Green Book") is a proprietary Phillips format that is very similar to a VCD (called "White Book" format), but with a different file format on the disc, and slightly different video format (a bit higher resolution). There were very few CDi movies ever produced, and I haven't seen one since the mid 90s--only VCDs.

That said: If you actually have a VCD, rather than a "true" CDi disc, you can definitely play it on your computer. If you're using 10.3, just find the avseq.dat file and open that with Quicktime Player--bingo. Or, copy it to your hard drive (should be about 500MB) and play it from there. You can also process these DAT files with a program called VCDGear, into a proper MPEG file.

Note that this won't work on 10.2 or earlier--support for the VCD filesystem was broken.

If, however, you really do have a CDi, it's possible 10.3 can still read it. If so, you can process the file with VCDGear to make it into a proper MPEG file, which Quicktime Player has no problems with.

Hope that made some sense.

(Amusingly enough, CDi was originally created just to display interactive images and animation; support for full video wasn't added until a later version, and early CDi players needed a special add-on module to play video. I've always wanted to see a real CDi, just to play with.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.