How to view a Word Perfect doc on PowerBook?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Aniej, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

I had a word perfect doc sent to me today that I need to open and have access to, but because it is wpd, I cannot do so. I do not have a MBP so running boot camp is not an option. Does anyone know an application or how to convert a word perfect document in such a way so that it is not gibberish?

2. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Ask the sender to send it again only this time as a plain text document or as a Word document (if you have Word on your mac.)

FJ

3. smokeyrabbit macrumors 6502

I believe AbiWord (free) will read WordPerfect documents.

4. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Aniej

Opps should have specified, I am not in a position to tell them to send again in word since they actually do not have word and more importantly, it is a federal judge, and I don't reallly feel like telling him to send again. The point being, it needs to be on the receiver's end, not the sender.

5. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Just to sidetrack this topic a bit, I'd like to point out that you do not need Word on your Mac to read Word documents. Simply using TextEdit is fine.

--Eric

6. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Aniej

yeah, lets not sidetrack this topic. any insight into my actual qestion?

7. discoforce macrumors 6502a

discoforce

8. FriarTuck macrumors 6502

FriarTuck

I third the motion for AbiWord. It has never let me down in opening WordPerfect documents. And the price is right. :)

9. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Cameront9

NeoOffice (free!) does indeed work just fine with Word Perfect documents.

I'm actually surprised a federal judge is still using Word Perfect, though...

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Having finally bothered to get Neo, I now also see that it's really worth having around anyway, even if I continue using Office 04. I'm kind of surprised that there's no WordPerfect converter in Office 04, although I also can't think of the last time I've seen the format.

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Another option: If you can run Classic, you can download the last version of Word Perfect (3.5) for the Mac for free.

12. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Aniej

Not a federal judge, the entire federal judiciary uses word perfect. I was shocked when I first encountered this some years back.

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Wow! I could understand being on OpenOffice for ideological reasons. But WordPerfect... wow.

14. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Aniej

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly everyone and suggesting the different applications, that's just what I need so that I could take care of this issue.

Just a quick follow-up, I noticed a lot of the people who responded suggested abiword instead of neooffice, can you provide a couple points on why? I know it comes down to personal preference, but I was just surprised that an application I had never heard about was recommended so much more than an application, neooffice, I had heard about before.

15. adhobbs macrumors newbie

How to view a Word Perfect doc on PowerBook

I opened a new text document in NeoOffice, went to Insert ->File and selected the wpd from my archives. The text then appeared on the screen with no need to modify it and, best of all, could be re-saved as an odt file. Incidentally, trying to open that file in the usual way did not work. In that case I just got a "General input/output error" message

16. yoppie macrumors 6502a

Good thread. I actually had a professor send out the class syllabus using the wpd format and a few of us couldn't open it. Of course, we complained and instead of changing the format, he posted it as html file for us to print.

This thread would have came in handy then. I'll be downloading Abiword or NeoOffice in case I come across it again. Thanks everyone.

17. adhobbs macrumors newbie

How to view a Word Perfect doc on PowerBook

I opened a new text document in NeoOffice, went to Insert ->File and selected the wpd from my archives. The text then appeared on the screen with no need to modify it and, best of all, could be re-saved as an odt file. Incidentally, trying to open that file in the usual way did not work. In that case I just got a "General input/output error" message.

18. yoppie macrumors 6502a

The new OpenOffice works with .wpd files too. I just tried opening a sample file and it behaved perfectly.

19. blischka macrumors newbie

20. hunter3740 macrumors member

21. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

22. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Since this and the other thread got opened and in case no one knows still how to open WordPerfect files:

File > Open > Enable: chose "Recover Text from any File."

The only problem here is that you lose formatting, but you can at least see the text.

MacLink Plus is a program you can buy to convert for the Mac though. Also NeoOffice can supposedly be used to convert the file to a format you can then use in Office 2008.

Also, you can convert online:

http://trial.3bview.com/3BTrial/pages/opendoc.jsp

23. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

Responding to a year-old thread, I just installed WinBLOWS just so I can use WordPerfect. WP is still the best consumer-level word processing app available.

24. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

During the days of DOS, WordPrefect was light years ahead of Word. The legal community went with WordPerfect because of it's capability back then.

Seems like they want to continue to use it. :)