how to view and save a .alb file

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by storkman14, Dec 3, 2010.

1. storkman14 macrumors newbie

May 6, 2010
    My wedding photo's were given to me by the photographer on a cd. When I put it in my mac it doesn't play, but when I look at the cd in "finder" I think the photos are located in 4 separate folders labeled "Album1.alb", "Album2.alb", "Album3.alb" and "Album.4.alb". I can't seem to open them to view the photo's.

I have 2 questions:
    1. How can I import them into iPhoto so I can have them on the hard drive and also backed up to the external drive (for safety).
    2. Can I convert them to another file type like jpg so it is easier to view

Any help greatly appreciated.
  2. Edge100 macrumors 68000

May 14, 2002
    Where am I???
    I absolutely don't mean to be a smart a** about this, but perhaps ask your wedding photographer???
  3. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Mar 25, 2009
    Folding space
    That file extension is a Windows something or other and your Mac doesn't know what to do with it. Take it to a friend's PC or buy time on one at Kinkos to see if you can copy it. Wedding Photogs make money from re-orders and these files/folders may have some sort of copyright protection. When all this was done on film, the photographer kept the negatives and sold re-prints. In digital the CD/DVD has become the album and the file on the photogs computer the negative.

4. storkman14 thread starter macrumors newbie

May 6, 2010
    Thanks Edge100 and Designer Dale.

The photographer did make a specific comment when he gave me the disc that they were protected so they couldn't be copied, and it was probably configured for a Windows PC so I'm pretty sure that's why I can't view it on my Mac or copy the pics.

But with all the crack software out there I figure there must be some program that will allow me to get the pics off the disc and into iPhoto? I just want to back them up onto the hard drive so I don't lose them. Any ideas of software that can do this?
  5. pit29 macrumors 6502a

May 23, 2006
    The Golden State