How to view OpenSSH on iPhone?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by wrathofhawk, Oct 25, 2009.

1. wrathofhawk macrumors newbie

wrathofhawk

I'm trying to SSH into my phone without Wifi, I've downloaded Make_iTunnel and winscp and downloaded OpenSSH from Cydia, but all the tutorials say I need to OPEN openssh on my phone and activate some things from there inorder to successfully ssh into my phone. Is there any way I could view the app itself? I know it doesn't have an icon but apparently there's a way to view it if these guys are saying I'm supposed to inorder to do this.

2. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

You have to use something like BossPrefs or SBSettings to toggle SSH off and on, since OpenSSH doesn't have an icon.

3. iHateMacs macrumors 6502a

iHateMacs

"Terminal" gives you a command prompt right there on the phone. Would that help?

4. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

If youre on windows get Diskaid. You can use it without WiFi, you just need to be connected to a comp (with USB).

5. calvy macrumors 65816

While all the other replies may be good solutions, the answer to your question is simple. If you installed openssh, it's running. No further work necessary unless you want to disable it. If you do, either uninstall it or use SBSettings to toggle it off.

Once it is installed, just ssh to the ip address if your iPhone. The first time it will take a few minute to connect, because openssh is generating encryption keys. Any subsequent connections you make will open quicker.

6. wrathofhawk thread starter macrumors newbie

wrathofhawk

You mean I can ssh into the phone with this program? I am on windows but it looks like its just a flashdrive for the iPhone.

I have SSH enabled according to SBSettings, and if anyone has done this before with the same programs, I'm trying to log in with the IP 127.0.0.1 and user/pass: root/alpine. The second I click login it comes up with a connection error that apparently is being caused by my firewall blocking winscp from logging into the phone according to the official website. I disabled firewall for winscp and it still comes up with the same message. Is there another way to do ssh into the phone offline? Or is there something I'm doing wrong?

7. calvy macrumors 65816

That is not the correct IP address. This is your localhost IP address, and is your machine, not your iPhone. Open up SBSettings, and look for your Wifi IP Address on the main screen. Connect to this IP with root/alpine

8. wrathofhawk thread starter macrumors newbie

wrathofhawk

I'm trying to SSH into my phone offline via USB. I don't have wifi at my house, so 127.0.0.1 is the correct IP to use in this case. I don't know if the method I'm using works anymore though, the tutorials I've seen are a bit old, because I've tried almost everything and it just won't log in.

9. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Please give us the steps you are trying to follow, including the one that you say tells you to "open" openSSH on your iPhone. We then might be able to figure out what they are really asking you to do.

10. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

With iTunnel you want to use a specific IP. You also need to make sure you're using the right version of iTunnel. I posted the latest version on these boards somewhere.

11. wrathofhawk thread starter macrumors newbie

wrathofhawk

Thanks man, I did have the old version of iTunnel. It's working now, thanks again :)