How to view video information WITHOUT quicktime?

RadicalxEdward

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 8, 2011
I've been trying to convert some videos for use with itunes / iphone and when I do it seems the videos are a bit smaller. The original files are ogm so I have to open them with vlc which won't tell me the actual resolution.

is there any app for mavericks or preferably, a way to view video specifications natively?
Every solution I find is either extremely outdated or says to open with quicktime (which only works for a few formats)

Brian33

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
Have you tried the Media Information window in VLC? It shows codec details including resolution and frame rate. Select the video in the playlist window and use Window-->Media Information or hit Command-I to bring up the window.

RadicalxEdward

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 8, 2011
Thanks, Brian33, for that quick method, for some reason I didn't see the resolution the first time I looked at that.

And double thanks to priitv8, for the tip about media inspector. If media inspector can really do what it says it can, then it's more than what I wanted and absolutely perfect for finding out info I wanted, but didn't even know it was possible to get. Gonna try it now

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.