How to view video information WITHOUT quicktime?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by RadicalxEdward, Dec 27, 2013.

1. RadicalxEdward macrumors 6502

RadicalxEdward

I've been trying to convert some videos for use with itunes / iphone and when I do it seems the videos are a bit smaller. The original files are ogm so I have to open them with vlc which won't tell me the actual resolution.

is there any app for mavericks or preferably, a way to view video specifications natively?
    Every solution I find is either extremely outdated or says to open with quicktime (which only works for a few formats)

2. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

Have you tried the Media Information window in VLC? It shows codec details including resolution and frame rate. Select the video in the playlist window and use Window-->Media Information or hit Command-I to bring up the window.

3. RadicalxEdward thread starter macrumors 6502

RadicalxEdward

Thanks, Brian33, for that quick method, for some reason I didn't see the resolution the first time I looked at that.

And double thanks to priitv8, for the tip about media inspector. If media inspector can really do what it says it can, then it's more than what I wanted and absolutely perfect for finding out info I wanted, but didn't even know it was possible to get. Gonna try it now

4. RadicalxEdward thread starter macrumors 6502

RadicalxEdward