Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThunderBull4

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
This is more of an information thread then a question/problem.

I know a few of you are business people and some of you wonder how you can view your pdf files on your ipod touch. Well here's an easy way that I use all the time. If you don't have a gmail account, you can easily create one for free.

On your pc/mac, simply send yourself (the gmail account) an email with the word document, or the PDF file as an ATTACHMENT. Then go to your ipod and use the mail.app (comes with the ipod) and sign onto your gmail account. Go to the sent mail, and open up the attachment. I've only tried this with word documents and pdf files, so I know those work... there could be other formats compatible as well.

TAna963

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2008
Is there a way that you can download it so you can view it without the internet?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
there could be other formats compatible as well.

It handles a number of formats...

Open an attached file:
Tap the attachment. It downloads to iPhone and then opens.

You can view attachments in portrait or landscape orientation. If the format of an attached file isn’t supported by iPhone, you can see the name of the file but you can’t open it. iPhone supports the following document types:

.doc:
Microsoft Word
.docx:
Microsoft Word (XML)
.htm:
webpage
.html:
webpage
.key:
Keynote
.numbers:
Numbers
.pages:
Pages
.pdf:
Preview, Adobe Acrobat
.ppt:
Microsoft PowerPoint
.pptx:
Microsoft PowerPoint (XML)
.txt:
text
.vcf:
contact information
.xls:
Microsoft Excel
.xlsx:
Microsoft Excel (XML)

Source.

(Applies to the newest version of firmware 2.x Mail on any generation iPod touch or iPhone)

sandman42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
Seattle
Is there a way that you can download it so you can view it without the internet?

Not without jailbreaking.

Yes, you can. Use the Air Sharing app. When your iPhone/Touch is connected to your network with the app running, it is available to any computer on the network as a network drive. You can put any file on the device, and create folders, etc. When your iPhone/Touch is off your network, the files are still loaded on the device (no network/internet connection required), and the viewable file types (e.g. Word, Excel, PPT, iWork, JPG, PDF, RTF, MP4, etc, etc) are viewable through the app. Works great.

quick5pnt0

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2008
Yes, you can. Use the Air Sharing app. When your iPhone/Touch is connected to your network with the app running, it is available to any computer on the network as a network drive. You can put any file on the device, and create folders, etc. When your iPhone/Touch is off your network, the files are still loaded on the device (no network/internet connection required), and the viewable file types (e.g. Word, Excel, PPT, iWork, JPG, PDF, RTF, MP4, etc, etc) are viewable through the app. Works great.

Well I as assuming that if he didn't have internet he also didn't have a network. You're right though, with a network its possible.

sandman42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
Seattle
Well I as assuming that if he didn't have internet he also didn't have a network. You're right though, with a network its possible.

I think you get this, but a lot of people don't when it comes to this app: you only need the network to load the docs/files onto the device, then you can view them whenever/wherever, without having to be connected to any network or internet. A lot of people can't seem to understand that no data connection is required to view the files on the handheld device. You'd be surprised how many people can't seem to get that, and think that you're somehow viewing the files over the network.

Come to think of it, even if you don't have a wireless network already, you could even use your computer itself to create the network, then use that to load the files onto the device, where the computer and the iPhone/Touch are the only devices on the network. No internet required.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.