How to warranty replace your apple keyboard?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by groove-agent, Jan 17, 2011.

1. groove-agent macrumors 6502a

Hey all,

I bought a wired apple keyboard last year 05/11 and recently the "U" key stopped working. I called the place that I bought it from and they told me to deal with apple. I went to the website and could not find any place that dealt with the keyboards. There was a page that prompted for a serial number but it said my serial was invalid - I suspect it was only for more significant hardware.

I did searches on the apple website, google and macrumors and couldn't find anything. Anyone have experience with this and know what to do?

Thanks.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you bought the keyboard for your MBP and not with a Mac Pro, iMac or Mac Mini, it's not covered under AppleCare:

AppleCare Protection Plan
    But it might be covered under the Accessory Warranty.

3. groove-agent thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for your reply.

I know that my wired keyboard is covered under the typical 1 year warranty. The problem I'm having is how to get it fixed/ replaced. All roads seem to lead to https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do where you enter your serial number, but it says my serial number is invalid.

So again, how does one get their wired keyboard fixed, replaced through apple?

4. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

Call Apple's support line and ask; or go to an Apple store if there is one nearby.

5. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Apple Store if there is one nearby or call AppleCare. They'll send you one and once you receive it, you return the defective one in the same box. You might have to provide a credit card for obvious reasons.

6. njsa04playa macrumors 6502

im just seeing this now, sorry for ressurecting an old thread. If you still need help on how to get your keyboard replaced, call up 1800 APL CARE ( i think thats the applecare number right guys?) and go through the voice options that the machine reads to you, basically do the right option it doesnt matter if thats exactly what your calling about until you get to a calls rep. Tell them your deal and they will either transfer you or ask to mail one, you can ask them for the case ID and bring that to an apple store and they will swap the keyboard right there infront of you

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

When you call support give them your Mac serial number and then tell them your keyboard has malfunctioned.

As for the stores, once you learn to get to know the store Geniuses they might be able to replace it without even checking for
    warranty.