How to watch ABC Player streams outside US?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by marcin0903, May 3, 2010.

1. marcin0903 macrumors regular

I know that there's a way to watch ABC Player from outside of US. Can someone show me, step by step how to do this? :)

2. TXCraig macrumors 6502a

TXCraig

You need to subscribe to a proxy service that give you a US IP address. They do charge for this kind of service. Just Google "IP Proxy" and you will see a bunch of them.

3. marcin0903 thread starter macrumors regular

OK, but there are also free ip proxy services, right? So I can use one of them and have hope that the movie streaming will be pretty good, yes?

4. DreamLand macrumors member

Through VPN

I use VPN to overcome this limitation. The VPN, that I used, is a paid service.
    http://strongvpn.com/

5. marcin0903 thread starter macrumors regular

OK, but for example if I have 6Mbps (megabits), will it work correctly with VPN in US? Will the streaming speed be good?
    And which option should I get of this VPN? What's the differences between PPTP and Open etc...? And one more thing, if I have VPN set for US if I live in Poland, what does it changes in general using of Internet? Just hides my IP, connection speed etc... is the same or maybe it changes more than the only IP?

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

No.

7. TXCraig macrumors 6502a

TXCraig

The free ones are very slow and are very hit and miss. If you plan on streaming video from the US with any frequency, you will need to pay for the service.

8. DreamLand macrumors member

The streaming spead is good in my case. My line speed is 20mbps, and I think it will still work in your case. I use strongvpn PPTP, and I don't know the defferince between PPTP and open.

9. marcin0903 thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm... is there any way to try this strongvpn, to see if the streaming speed is good? I do not want to waste 70 bucks for crappy vpn quality in my case, so that's why I am asking.

10. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

I've been using witopia.net for pandora and abc from Canada without problems. Doesn't work over 3G but that's bc of my cell provider. It was $40. I think it has. 30 day money back think (I think)

11. DreamLand macrumors member

Be careful, strongvpn has many bundles to choose from
    The one I chose is "3 City Special PPTP 1 year" for 55$

12. TXCraig macrumors 6502a

TXCraig

They do not do free trials, but have a 7 days money back warranty. I tired them just to see how it works... very good service but I don't watch enough internatinoal video to warrent the fee.

I canceled after 4 days and was promptly credited my CC for the full purchase.

13. marcin0903 thread starter macrumors regular

TXcraig - you are talking about strongvpn - right?

14. Olaf.cc macrumors newbie

15. marcin0903 thread starter macrumors regular

Is strongvpn offering one month subscriptions or only 3 and 12 months? If not I think I will try blackvpn, olaf.cc so you cannot complain on blackvpn, yes?

16. marcin0903 thread starter macrumors regular

I bought blackVPN service and speed isn't so good. Instead of my 6Mb/s I have only 0.2Mb/s... Is there any solution?

17. SoundMan macrumors member

I use a Program called Hotspot Shield for my pc to watch Hulu etc

http://www.hotspotshield.com/

I have emailed them already and asked will a Ipad or Iphone app be coming

Just another way CDN people get squed

Will tell you if i get a reply back

18. marcin0903 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok I figured out what was going on. I wrote to their customer support, and they gave me addresses of few servers to try, one of them is good for me and now it is streaming imidietly.

Firstly I tried to use hotspotshield but I found out that it is not working on iPh one/iPad, but on their site there is written that works good on iPhone.

For few days I was searching free VPN - now I can say that this is impossible. If you want to watch streamed movies/episodes you have to use paid VPN

19. fishmoose macrumors 68000

I actually won a free US VPN, hideipvpn gives out 25 free US and UK VPN every week, if you follow there Twitter or blog you can try to snatch one, they go out darn fast so be quick when you get the chance. I got one after trying for 3 weeks.

20. pbellamy macrumors member

Bizarrely, I was on a Virgin train last week and it streamed perfectly well. I watched a cuple of hours of ABC with no issue.

So I guess the answer is to just sit on a Pendelino... (Must be something out of whack with their T-Mobile train hotspots.):)

21. TXCraig macrumors 6502a

TXCraig

Yes.

22. snapper07 macrumors 6502

snapper07

The free on board train wifi streams via satellite so it depends where they are getting the feed from was on the east coast line the other day trying to get google to work it thought i was in Sweden took ages to figure a work round!:confused: