How to watch DirecTv on the retina display

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Pvt Newby, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Pvt Newby macrumors newbie

I have a 27" retina display (late 2015) and direcTv (Geni GO) and an OWC Thunderbolt dock that has an HDMI slot as does the Geni Go. How do I watch high definition programming on the iMac? I also have eyeTv but it only supports composite connections. This used to be fine but along came 5k retina display...

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

3. Pvt Newby thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I think. So to be clear there is not currently a way to watch 1080i programming on the retina display iMac? And before someone in the land where it's cool to be cruel tells me, I know I am slow when it comes to this stuff but it still hurts.

4. Richdmoore macrumors 65816

Richdmoore

You can try an eyetv HD box, along with eyetv software, I used it with a Comcast cable box a few years ago.

http://www.amazon.com/Elgato-EyeTV-.../B003MVYTBU/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

I found it relatively cheap on eBay, with the eyetv software not included. It was a bit of a flaky product, but it worked well enough for me at the time.

Of course, you need component out on your cable box.

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

You can watch anything on that display as long as the iMac is driving it, you can watch anything you have an app for on the Mac anything online even anything on a hard drive or on an attached optical disk drive but you can't use another device ie another computer or game console or TV box to drive the screen. So you could watch using Netflix on your computer but not attach the TV box and use that to watch Netflix.

6. Pvt Newby thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much. It turns out that I have that very unit and after I read your post I looked further and saw that Elgato claims that although the connection from their unit is composite it records in HD. I looked at some of the recordings I made and they were acceptable. It's just that once you go HD it's hard to go back, sorta like a Mac. lol