How to watch Hulu from outside the US?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Daptin, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Daptin macrumors newbie

Daptin

Hi, I am a new PC convert (I got a MacBook Air, with OS X 10.6.5), and not much of a techie... that's why, after attempting to read about VPN, proxies, Hotspot Shield etc, I am turning to you with a plain vanilla question:

I am not overly paranoid or trying to shield my IP address for obscure reasons... I frequently travel to the Republic of Panama and when I am there, I turn to HULU to watch a few favorite TV programs. For instance, in Panama you can watch SNL, but the program is six month old!

With my now defunct Toshiba laptop, I used Hotspot Shield and it worked perfectly (just two months ago). I tried to install the Mac version on my MacBook but it would not work. After reading a lot online, I realize that Hotspot Shield does not work on Macs and no longer works with Hulu anyway.

I don't want to pay a monthly fee to watch SNL twice a month. Could you share your experience? Thanks in advance, Chris

2. johnsonm90 macrumors newbie

Actually I am using a paid VPN service which works fine for me..Ive only heard of free stuff like Hotspot Shield, Cyber Ghost, Raptor VPN etc but never used any of them so cant recommend one..If you think you can pay for a VPN then I do have a recommendation for you based on my own experience :)

3. samh macrumors 6502

You do understand that the problem isn't that something is broken, but that what you are attempting to do is not permitted by the Terms of Service governed by the content providers. Hulu isn't for Panamanians. Probably because the content providers don't have contracts with Hulu to allow them to stream to Panama. Whether we think that's right or wrong, that's the fact of the matter.

4. Daptin thread starter macrumors newbie

Daptin

Dear MacFriend, I understand you perfectly... apparently it's OK for an American to watch SNL while in the US, but it's vaguely immoral for that same American to attempt to do that while traveling. My heart bleeds for the content providers, and censors in general.

5. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Hotspot Shield works for me, I'm in the UK, but I like to watch The Colbert Report without paying Sky a fortune for the privilege.

Thoroughly recommended.

6. samh macrumors 6502

It's their content, not yours.

7. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Exactly. And their service. I'm constantly amused at how people seem to think they have some sort of right to other people's work. You can't walk into a liquor store, grab a bottle of wine, and leave without paying just because you think that you have some right to it...

8. Daptin thread starter macrumors newbie

Daptin

Your analogy is a bit simplistic. Here's my story: I used to be subscribed to Hulu and Pandora - a paying subscriber, because I could skip the ads - but I discovered that when I traveled to Canada, my subscriptions were not available. So I turned to VPN for a while, until it stopped to work. Please feel free to regard this as stealing, o righteous ones!

9. Bob Coxner macrumors 6502a

Put bootcamp on your Macbook. Install Windows and then install Hotspot Shield. Problem solved, assuming you have a copy of Windows available.

10. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210