Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chayes

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2010
Hi, I am looking for a way to watch live TV from either ATV or through my Macbook Air to my ATV via Airplay (when Mountain Lion comes out).

I see a lot about TV Tuners and recording channels, storing them and watching them later.

I just want to be able to turn something on, click on a station (Food Network for example) and just watch it.

Is there something like this out there? I would pay for cable but my cable provider and I are at odds right now.

triptolemus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2011
Aside from jailbreaking the ATV2 and watching Hulu (for example), no. This method isn't exactly "live" TV anyway.

A TV Tuner will allow you to receive over-the-air signals. Don't know if ML would AirPlay this type of content to ATV2. It certainly won't do Food Network (to use your example). Not sure how you propose to watch "live" TV on anything without a live signal from something!

Everyone wants to click once and get results! What you're looking for requires some combination of work, hardware, subscription, etc.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
:apple:TV doesn't have a built-in tuner. It's not really made for live programming unless something live is being streamed such as the recent Paul McCartney concert. Live events on :apple:TV are not very common though.

If you are near enough to a city, can you put up an antenna (or even use various incarnations of rabbit ears)? This may be a way to get lots of live (and local) programming for free (often in better HD quality than you can get through cable/satt). Try punching your address into: http://www.antennaweb.org/Address.aspx to see what you might be able to get (for free) using only an antenna.

How about Dish or Directv?

You can get things to hook to your computer (see sources like Elgato) which can bring DVR-like experiences to your computer. You can also automate some of the functionality so that it records your shows, converts them into an :apple:TV-friendly format and then inserts them into iTunes for you. However, all that- if wanting to watch on your HDTV via :apple:TV- is pretty much NOT live programming.

If you are willing to watch some of that live programming on your computer, those tuners can handle that. BUT, you still have to feed them a signal which will generally require an antenna, cable or satt. Live via the Internet can sometimes work well but seems mostly hit or miss. And if you are at odds with your cable company, you may have little choice for robust Internet bandwidth, which further limits dependence on the Internet for your signals.

chayes

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2010
Certainly I can play some local stations to from my MacAir to ATV via Airplay.

I wish Apple set up through iTunes to essentially pay yearly (or monthly) to access actual cable like programming packages.

That would eliminate my need for a cable box.

Unfortunately I live in an apartment complex where I can't get Dish or Direct TV.

I'm not looking for a one click solution, read what I'm asking.

I'm just looking for a way to access TV Networks without having to pay for Cable Television.

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
This may be a no-brainer, but you of course know that local networks are easily accessible by just hooking up a Terk or similar set top antenna to your current HDTV (the one that is displaying what's on your AppleTV)?

You would be surprised at how many discrete digital channel you can get over the air. Here in Houston, TX...including foreign language channels, there are easily 25-30! It basically the same amount of channels that cable providers were offering in the 80s.

This does nothing for DVR functionality, but it takes care of you wanting to be able to watch live TV...just use your HDTV as designed. ;)

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Unfortunately I live in an apartment complex where I can't get Dish or Direct TV.

You might want to try harder. Look up the otard rules: http://www.fcc.gov/guides/over-air-reception-devices-rule Then, type searches like otard rule apartment and start reading. Where there's a law that's actually in a consumer's favor, there's usually a way.

As to wishing there was a cable-like iTunes subscription, lots of people want that, usually commercial free and al-a-carte (so they can pay for only the channels they want). Both of those are usually paired with an "offer" of something like $10-$30 "which would save me about $80 over what I'm paying now". But there are so many flaws with that thinking that I just don't see it happening. It would be great to get that but only great for us consumers and Apple. Everyone else loses in that dream.

chayes

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2010
You might want to try harder. Look up the otard rules: http://www.fcc.gov/guides/over-air-reception-devices-rule Then, type searches like otard rule apartment and start reading. Where there's a law that's actually in a consumer's favor, there's usually a way.

While my apartment complex says that I can choose whoever I want, I live in a 3 story building on the second floor with no balcony, and I am not allowed to drill any holes into the apartment (from outside) or to add any attachments to the building.

If I do I face the cost of damages or eviction.

So essentially I can only choose cable where I currently live (Brighthouse or Comcast).

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Again, see the otard rules and investigate. The rules are about not denying us access to signals. The concept is that consumers should have choice about from where they get their television signals and NOT be locked into 1 or 2 choices.

Otard does allow "reasonable" guidance from landlords but they cannot generally forbid reception of satt signals if you want them. Since reception requires installation of dish, they generally must allow a dish to be installed somewhere- again reasonable- so that you can get those signals. By this second reasonable, I mean they can't make it crazy expensive for you so that you will choose not to install a dish.

Does no one in your complex has satt television? If someone nearby does have it, you might be able to piggy back off of their dish.

Regardless, per otard, I'm pretty sure you have rights to satt if you want it. Even if you signed a lease that forbids satt dishes, otard overrules such rules. If you press the issue, I think they have to allow you to install a dish somewhere suitable to receive the signals.

Last edited:

chayes

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2010
No one has one.

I'm pretty sure everyone has Brighthouse, because in Central Florida most everyone has Brighthouse.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I'm not that far from you and I live in a Homeowners Association with bylaws that forbid antennas and satt dishes. Otard overrules those kinds of rules. I got a letter to take down the dishes. I pointed the HOA to Otard. And that was the end of it. Now several homes in the HOA have satt services instead of the lone cable option in my area.

Your situation is only a little different as a renter. But Otard generally works for renters too. I'm pretty sure they can't deny you the ability to receive the signals if you want them. Otard is all about NOT forcing people into ONLY singular options like 1 cable company. What if Bright house decided to raise their rates to $200/month? $300/month? $500/month? It's that anti-monopoly, anti-predatory scenario that motivated the FCC to implement the Otard rules way back in 1996.

HOA and Landlord groups have been fighting Otard- by mostly bluffing- ever since.

Last edited:

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
So essentially I can only choose cable where I currently live (Brighthouse or Comcast).

Or a set top antenna to get your OTA stations...depending on where you live in Central FL, you might get a mix of Tampa and Orlando stations. I live in Houston, but can commonly pull in stations in nearby markets with my set top Terk antenna.

42gb

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2004
Germantown, MD
Hi, I am looking for a way to watch live TV from either ATV or through my Macbook Air to my ATV via Airplay (when Mountain Lion comes out).

I see a lot about TV Tuners and recording channels, storing them and watching them later.

I just want to be able to turn something on, click on a station (Food Network for example) and just watch it.

Is there something like this out there? I would pay for cable but my cable provider and I are at odds right now.

It sounds like Google TV might be the solution you are looking for. The cable service streams through the Google box, so you can switch between cable channels, web surfing, and streaming options without switching tv inputs. Streaming from your laptop might not work as seamlessly as Airplay, then again, it might not be necessary.

I haven't tried it myself, and I know it hasn't received great reviews, but I like the approach.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.