how to watch something with macbook closed via minidisplay

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by JBG87, Mar 19, 2011.

1. JBG87 macrumors member

i got minidisplay port to hdmi with my macbook 2010 i would like to know how to watch something with my macbook closed...i have my macbook on the charger and it just turns my tv off when i close my macbook...but it all works when i have it open :confused:

2. blackreplica macrumors member

Use an app called InsomniaX which prevents the laptop from going to sleep when you close the display

3. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

I've never used InsomniaX, but if you have a device that can wake your Macbook, that can be easier.

Not sure if the 2010 Macbooks have IR sensors for the Apple Remote, but if it does, then you can use the remote to wake the MB. Just have everything plugged in, close the lid to sleep the MB, use the remote to wake it up. The main desktop will be on the TV.

Alternatively, you can use a device such as a mouse or keyboard. USB definitely works. I would guess that BT would work as well.

4. JBG87 thread starter macrumors member

yes i figured it out i have the keyboard and mouse...

but now when the macbook is closed the internet is slow to the point where its not even working :confused:

when the mac is open and mirrored to the tv via hdmi its fine...but closed is a other story

5. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

Thats interesting... can you give us the transmit rate before and after you close the lid? (Hold down option and click on the airport icon on the menu bar)

6. JBG87 thread starter macrumors member

transmit rate where my desk is located currently = 54

transmit rate when i was in my room where the tv is and i can stream no problem = 18

transmit rate when i was mirroring the macbook with the tv and open = 11

i streamed a family episode on hulu off 1 buff during the first ad

then i closed the macbook at first glance transmite rate was 18 then i went to hulu and it was difficult to stream i left it a while and it only played 3 mins before needing a other buff transmite rate was 24...then i went to netflix transmite rate was 11 and didnt even load a tv show then i before i disconnected it was transmite rate of 1

still unplayable while closed, working while mirroring open