How to watch Xvid files on a Mac?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by riker1384, Sep 20, 2007.

1. riker1384 macrumors regular

(I have a G4 Emac w/ 10.3.9)

I was wondering how I can watch these Xvid video files that I'm seeing more of. I downloaded an "Xvid component" here:

http://n.ethz.ch/student/naegelic/download/

I tested it on a video file. Quicktime Player opened it and played the video, but there's no sound. What do I need to do?

2. riker1384 thread starter macrumors regular

So what is the exact relationship between Divx and Xvid? Do they both decode each other's files, or are they similar but incompatible or what?

3. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

Skip all the individual codecs and just install the Perian plugin. It'll play almost everything except WMV.

I believe Xvid is an open source implementation of DivX. Could be wrong on that though.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

5. riker1384 thread starter macrumors regular

Are there any possible conflicts, ie if I install Perian, should I delete the Xvid one?

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

They're all independent codecs.

7. riker1384 thread starter macrumors regular

Unfortunately it seems that Perian requires the 10.4 OS. I'll just try the Divx codec I guess.

8. Carrot007 macrumors regular

Carrot007

9. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

Well it doesn't suck if you have Perian. ;)

10. jbarreraz macrumors newbie

xvid.fragment

hi someone can help me, i download a movie and i have it in my vuze program, my problems is that i just can see a folder and i open the folder and i see just blank little sheets.
    what can i do?

11. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

What file format does the video show in Finder?

David

12. mattdmoodie macrumors newbie

13. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

They are probably RAR files. Go to macupdate or versiontracker for an app to expand them.

14. mattdmoodie macrumors newbie

i have open them with stuffit but it never finishes

15. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I haven't used StuffIt since 2005. :eek:

Take a look at UnRarX and The Unarchiver.

16. emmalou99 macrumors newbie

heelp!!

I'm trying to watch videos on vidXden! It won't let me watch them because I need to download a codec, excep I can't download the codec because it says its not compatible with mac! I have downloaded divx player and perian already and it's still not working!!
    I went to the divx website and tried to download a web player thing but it just opens up in a text document :S http://www.divx.com/en/software/divx-plus/web-player

HELP!!!

17. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

Hey guys. VLC (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/) is the top video player application for mac and windows, plays ALL the codecs perfectly and has a great interface. Personally, I really love it.

18. greenelajr macrumors newbie

hello, i am trying to watch a video online and it says that i need xvid and i can't find it anywhere. i have downloaded persian and the VLC players but i don't know what to do after that. can anyone help me?

19. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

People watch Xvid video on their Macs all the time. Without a link to your problematic video, there is no way to diagnose your problem.

20. greenelajr macrumors newbie

I guess the video i was trying to watch ended up being weird. it said it was a movie but when i clicked on it to play it seemed like an ad. i'll send the link anyways though
    http://veehd.com/video/2196436_Anita-1973

21. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You should pay attention to what you are clicking on. I backed-up to the VeeHD.com home page. The videos there play without issue on my Mac. However, I gather that you want the thing in the lower right-hand corner entitled Movies in green. The word advertisement appears clearly beneath. Clicking on it takes you to a page that tries to foist a Windows Setup.exe file on you. The DOWNLOAD and PLAY NOW buttons do the same thing.

22. greenelajr macrumors newbie

yeah i really didn't know what was going on because i was at a movie website and i saw this movie and the link sent me to it. i think it was a bad link. but thanks for your help.

23. jbrooks467 macrumors newbie

yea i'm an employer and one application was on resume-post.net i have a macbook pro and it says that i need XVID codec. i downloaded vlc but don't know how to use it. any help would be appreciated. i also downloaded the divx for mac and it still says it.

24. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

Did you try installing perian?

And what is it you don't understand about VLC? Install the application (which I believe is drag and drop). Then right click the file you want to play, choose "open with" and then choose VLC. If it doesn't show that options, choose "Other..." and the find VLC.

VLC should open and play. Else hit the space bar.