Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
I hate that YouTube uses its own stupid video player on its website on iPad. On iPhone, it uses the default Apple video player. If the default player was used online for iPad, I would be able to use PiP everyday when I watch YouTube. But no.

Is there any way at all to watch YouTube videos in Safari using the default player? I have looked and looked but can't find anything. Maybe there is a YouTube app that uses the default player somehow?

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
I made a website within a couple of minutes so I could use pip. Works like a charm. Use it all the time. My link is 9youtubelinks.weebly.com but that's gonna be pretty much worthless to you. Just go to weebly embed a couple of YouTube video players and you're done. Then all you have to do is download the weebly app and when you want to watch a video paste the link in and go watch it with pip. It sounds like a lot more work than it is. Just give it a try. I absolutely love pip YouTube videos.

Skylitfly

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2014
If it's not necessary for you to watch YouTube on pip right now just wait for the final iOS 9. I'm 100% sure that YouTube app will be updated to support pip.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
I made a website within a couple of minutes so I could use pip. Works like a charm. Use it all the time. My link is 9youtubelinks.weebly.com but that's gonna be pretty much worthless to you. Just go to weebly embed a couple of YouTube video players and you're done. Then all you have to do is download the weebly app and when you want to watch a video paste the link in and go watch it with pip. It sounds like a lot more work than it is. Just give it a try. I absolutely love pip YouTube videos.
Thank you so much! Just made my website right now and it worked! Haven't had much experience with swapping out links in the player but it DEFINITELY is nice to know I can do this now! I used PiP for the same purpose you were using it for, YouTube and Clash :p Nice base by the way, I'm just over 10 levels behind ya, pretty new town hall 8.5. :p

I previously had the idea of making a website and embedding YouTube links, but I just didn't know how to go about getting a free website up for that purpose. Completely forgot about weebly!

If it's not necessary for you to watch YouTube on pip right now just wait for the final iOS 9. I'm 100% sure that YouTube app will be updated to support pip.
Too late lol. Already did what The Doctor11 did. This will just have to do until iOS 9 officially releases and YouTube is updated to support PiP.

Reactions: The Doctor11

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
Thank you so much! Just made my website right now and it worked! Haven't had much experience with swapping out links in the player but it DEFINITELY is nice to know I can do this now! I used PiP for the same purpose you were using it for, YouTube and Clash :p Nice base by the way, I'm just over 10 levels behind ya, pretty new town hall 8.5. :p

I previously had the idea of making a website and embedding YouTube links, but I just didn't know how to go about getting a free website up for that purpose. Completely forgot about weebly!
Glade it's working for you! And I've been thinking about making a th 9.5 base when the time comes ;)

BigCLC

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2014
The easiest way I found to watch youtube pip is through the flipboard app. Just link your youtube account in it and then watch your videos. Flipboard uses the built in video player so it works great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.