How to watermark a PDF mulitple times with variable data

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jono Houston, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Jono Houston macrumors newbie

Hi All

I have search for hours and hours online to find an application that will perform the following task. Can I ask if anyone on this forum has any ideas?

1. Take a multiple page PDF document

2. Take a list of names from an excel spreadsheet

3. Use these names to automaticlly create a batch of watermarked copies of the document (one name per document). It would be nice to be able to edit how the watermark appears – font, orientation, text colour etc.

4. Independently re-save each watermarked document to a folder with the person’s name in the filename.

To put this into context... I work in television production and when we print the scripts for our cast and crew we need to watermark them. Therefore I would like to find a system that will automatically watermark the script PDF with each of their names.

Hoping someone may be able to help or point me in the right direction.

Cheers, Jono

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

One obvious thing strategy comes to mind:
    1. Copy the PDF page-by-page into a Word document.
    2. Create your watermark as mail merge field on each page of the new Word document.
    3. Complete the merge.

3. Jono Houston thread starter macrumors newbie

The PDF on average is a 90 page file which is made it Final Draft.
    The formatting just dosen't transfer to Word.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

That is nonsense.

5. nastebu macrumors 6502

MisterMe is probably right. There's instructions for converting to Word here: http://www.screenstyle.com/abfidr7.html

Even if you have to futz around with the formatting to get it right, you'll save time over trying a bunch of half-baked solutions with the pdf. (you've already spent "hours and hours") The mail merge thing *will* work and will create separate files for you, which in the end will save a lot of time.