Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iamamac

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2008
Hi guys,
After posting my last topic, I started really hard to learn Photoshop and I did it! I really started to understand something!
Now, I need your help, again!
Actually, I don't know where to start! I mean, how can I get some work to do?
Now, as a newsflash, my very only target is getting 5000€ until September! So I have 5 months! I need this money for my high-school school. My dad said that he won't pay for this school (American high-school) because he doesn't want me to do that school, he wants me to go to the same school that he went and he also thinks that's a school for spoiled kids. I just wanna learn English, I just don't feel that Italy it's the place I want/need to be, he doesn't even realize that I'm the only kid that has an "A" at English and how much I started to love this language. Whatever, I don't want that school, so I asked him that if I can get the money for "my school" he will let me go to this school. He laughed but agreed. I don't know why he is doing (we can afford that school, I'm sure) this but nvmd, I already got used with him. That was my offtopic part, the point is that I desperately want to go to that school so I don't need the money to buy some gadgets or something like this as I first taught. I started to realize that there are lots of things to do instead of buying gadgets and show the world how grate is the iPhone, Macbook and stuff like that, you'll end up being only with them and eventually no money. I want to demonstrate my dad that I can do something on my own and I'm going to take it as far as I can!
I asked your help and I hope you'll give me some advices! I'm telling you that I know nothing! :D
If you are a web designer, how did you started? How much did you earn?
Your advice helps me! Any advice!
Thanks!

MiroMac

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2009
I've been doing web design for almost 7 years, but getting paid for about 4 years. The thing about web design is that people will just grab a template, "edit" it and claim it as their own. Building something from the ground up is the way to learn something. Be fluent in web standards, css, php, html, CMS, server side stuff and much more before you pick up a legit project. Don't take on too much at once. Also learn how to accept if someone bluntly says, "that design is ****" and be able to scrap it and start over.

I got started because I loved the internet and wanted to know how it worked. Had a lot of time on my hands and just went with it. I know work freelance as well for a design studio doing work for larger mainstream companies. I love it.

The amount you get paid is what you're worth. If you're not very good, then most companies will just pass over you.

iamamac

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2008
Thank you, MiroMac, I appreciate your answer!
I also agree with all the stuff that you said but I really need to start some legit project..
I know that I have to work hard but I think I could do this.
Another questions that I forgot to mentions is: How to pick up some legit project? :D

MiroMac

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2009
Build a legitimate portfolio and propose it to various companies. For freelance I've built up a good size network of clients that come back to me as well as recommend me to other people. In the beginning, it's most likely that clients won't come to you so you have to go to them. When I'm looking to pick up some extra cash I usually check out on a few job boards.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.