Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GuillaumeB

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 4, 2007
Just behind you
Hi

I have an old laptop with XP Pro on it.
I'd like to create a wifi network between the two laptops

I went to the Leopard syst pref and in "Sharing" I checked "File Sharing"
In Options i checked the 3 boxes (AFP, FTP and SMB)

Some of XP foolder are set to shared as well

Now what should I do?

I'd like the XP laptop to be listed on my Finder.

The funnny thing is that when I first started leopard it was listed there! I did not even strat to use my Mac, it was just there...I did not pay too much attention at first but now it's gone...

Any help?

jjo

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Hi

I'd like the XP laptop to be listed on my Finder.

Any help?

I think I have a similar problem.

My new Leopard install won't show any of my XP shares in that new "Shared" side panel.

In Tiger, I just clicked on "Network", and after a few seconds, all my network's PC workgroups were listed.

Now, in "Network" on Leopard, all I see are other Macs. No PCs.

What gives? There's got to be some setting buried somewhere in Leopard that needs attention so I can see PCs in my Leopard Finder.

Problem is, I can't find that setting.

And yes, I have the Leopard firewall to "Allow all incoming connections."

Can anyone help?

furby

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2007
hum so...nobody knows?

Hmm, what happens when you try:

• In Finder Go -> Connect to Server or Command (Apple) + K
  • Try Browse..
or more likely type
Code:
[b]smb://192.168...whatever the XP Computer IP Address is[/b]
Use the Guest Account or your Username for login.

Report back if you have more success this way

jjo

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
The "Browse..." only shows other Macs.

The smb://192.168.... works. But with machines using DCHP, isn't this a bad way of connecting? I mean, without knowing the IP, how can you connect?

Why was this better in Tiger?

I hope this is resolved in a future update.

furby

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2007
I agree it's not great, I'll have to get onto a windows network to test it properly. It is probably just a tickbox somewhere.

If you know the name of the computer that will work as well
Code:
smb://computername or smb://computername/sharedfolder

jjo

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Thanks for the tips.

You know, ever since I successfully connected to my XP workstation, it's name is now in the left "Shared" panel on my MacBook.

Hopefully this first successful connection "cleared the pipe" to allow for this feature to now work.

jjo

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
It seems official: you have to change your workgroup name in the WINS dialog box in the Network preference panel of the adapter your using to match the workgroup of the PC you're trying to reach.

I just did a test here at work where we have 2 workgroups, and I need to change my MacBook's Leopard OS to match the workgroup name of the PC workstation I'm trying to access.

If change the MacBook's WINS workgroup, all the PC shares in that workgroup appear in the "SHARED" side panel. To reach the PCs in another workgroup, I have to change the MacBook's WINS workgroup name (or connect to that PC's IP address, but in a DHCP world, that's just as tedious).

Since this WINS setting in Leopard is buried, it's kind of a pain to do each time.

Hopefully there will be an update in Leopard that resolves this.

entfla

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2008
It seems official: you have to change your workgroup name in the WINS dialog box in the Network preference panel of the adapter your using to match the workgroup of the PC you're trying to reach.

I just did a test here at work where we have 2 workgroups, and I need to change my MacBook's Leopard OS to match the workgroup name of the PC workstation I'm trying to access.

If change the MacBook's WINS workgroup, all the PC shares in that workgroup appear in the "SHARED" side panel. To reach the PCs in another workgroup, I have to change the MacBook's WINS workgroup name (or connect to that PC's IP address, but in a DHCP world, that's just as tedious).

Since this WINS setting in Leopard is buried, it's kind of a pain to do each time.

Hopefully there will be an update in Leopard that resolves this.

I love you,
I have been searching and searching for a way to network my imac and xp laptop four hours and simply changing the network name on the imac DID IT

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.