Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Philgr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2005
Lakes - UK
As per the title

My new iMac is faulty and apple are sending me a replacement machine, how do i wipe all my stuff off it, accounts, applications passwords etc..

Thanking in advance

Phil G

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
OP would be transferring everything to the replacement Mac anyway.
I can't think of a reason to waste time backing up a computer that one is returning.

Tumbleweed666

macrumors 68000
Mar 20, 2009
Near London, UK.
OP would be transferring everything to the replacement Mac anyway.
I can't think of a reason to waste time backing up a computer that one is returning.

The reason will probably occur to you a few minutes after the new mac fails and before you backed it up, and the wipe on the old mac finishes.

You don't backup up "a computer" you back up "your data"

Philgr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2005
Lakes - UK
Thanks guys - all my data is backed up already

Just want to return the machine in a " out of the box condition "

PG

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
So, if I read this correctly, delete the HD titled Mac HD? Not the entire HD?

No, you didn't read this correctly, and is not what I suggested.
The "Mac HD" is just a partition on your hard drive (the default from Apple is still "Macintosh HD", but whatever you have on your own hard drive.)
Anyway, choose the hard drive (which will be the line with manufacturer's info, as you may have more than one partition), and Erase your hard drive.

zeropointzero

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2010
No, you didn't read this correctly, and is not what I suggested.
The "Mac HD" is just a partition on your hard drive (the default from Apple is still "Macintosh HD", but whatever you have on your own hard drive.)
Anyway, choose the hard drive (which will be the line with manufacturer's info, as you may have more than one partition), and Erase your hard drive.

Got it. Thank you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.