How To Wipe Hard Drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ghsNick, Feb 21, 2012.

1. ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

I'm selling my 2011 MBA today and I need to wipe the hard drive so it's "like new" for the buyer.

How do I go about doing this?

2. simsaladimbamba

You start up from the Lion Recovery partition and open Disk Utility and select the Macintosh HD partition and ERASE it (securely hopefully).
    Mac 101: Preparing your old Mac for sale or recycling

Links to guides on how to use Disk Utility, the application Mac OS X provides for managing internal and external HDD/SSDs and its formats.

3. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Some of the operations take hours. You might need more than a day to secure wipe, download the OS, reinstall.

If you have already been using FV2, then your data may already be secure. Just remove your accounts (I am not 100% sure). If not, then you can probably get by with a one-pass erase if you are really strapped for time. I have typically done a 7 or higher erase... but then I am the paranoid type.

/Jim

4. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

On the two Macs I've sold on Craigslist, I used Disc Utility to do a 1x overwrite on the HD, then installed all the software I was including with the computer (by the time I sold them, they couldn't run the latest versions of OS, iLife and maybe some others, so I install them all and give them the discs).

Is a 1x overwrite truly secure? I'm sure it would be possible for a pro to glean some personal information, but what really are the chances that the person you're selling it to will be criminally inclined and a profession? However, when you add the new installs on top of the overwrite, I'm sure it would be hard to get much out of it.

Yes, if you're paranoid, the 7x overwrite is probably smart. It will take some time, though (maybe not too bad on a MacBook Air with the solid state drive).

5. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I got to the disc utility like it says. And when I click on the erase tab it won't let me select the security options tab.

Any way to make that pop up?