Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Amnak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2009
Hey all i just sold my ipod touch and id like to know how to wipe it of all information like my name and the sync with my computer. I'd also like to be able to reset it to factory settings, but it's currently on firmware 3.1.2 can i reset it to stay on 3.1.2 and not reformat to 4.0

Amnak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2009
You can restore it as a new device in iTunes, but that would make it upgrade to iOS 4.

i was pretty sure there was a way to make it the firmware i wanted i think it's something like download the firmware put it into that one mode were it must be connected to a computer and option click restore but im to nervous to do that

Feb 15, 2009
Boston, MA
i was pretty sure there was a way to make it the firmware i wanted i think it's something like download the firmware put it into that one mode were it must be connected to a computer and option click restore but im to nervous to do that

You could have done that, but Apple is not signing iOS 3 anymore, so you can't

Amnak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2009
I'm not sure what "sighing" means, but "signing" is how Apple allows you to update to newer releases.

One they stop signing an older OS, there's no way to go back (unless you're jailbroken).

I am jailbroken !

Amnak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2009
Well, you never said that. :rolleyes:

Download Tiny Umbrella, save your SHSH blobs and restore as a new device by pointing iTunes to the iOS 3.1.2

I know this sounds retarded but i can't fined i dlink for it? edit never mind im dumb.

Code.Red

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2010
Keep in mind you must already have saved your SHSH blobs for 3.1.2 since they aren't signing it anymore. If you saved your blobs (either via Cydia or TinyUmbrella) way back when they still were, then you are good.

Amnak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2009
Keep in mind you must already have saved your SHSH blobs for 3.1.2 since they aren't signing it anymore. If you saved your blobs (either via Cydia or TinyUmbrella) way back when they still were, then you are good.

Well im on 3.1.2 now so will i be able to restore it if i save my blobs now

Amnak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2009
i wish someone else knew how to help me could i get someone elses signed 3.1.2?......p.s. i tried deleting some files and then i resprang my spring bored snd now the ipod is stuck on the apple screen any alements

Feb 15, 2009
Boston, MA
i wish someone else knew how to help me could i get someone elses signed 3.1.2?......p.s. i tried deleting some files and then i resprang my spring bored snd now the ipod is stuck on the apple screen any alements

If it's stuck on the Apple screen, now you're going to have to restore. I don't understand what's wrong with upgrading to iOS 4 (especially since you sold it)

Amnak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2009
If it's stuck on the Apple screen, now you're going to have to restore. I don't understand what's wrong with upgrading to iOS 4 (especially since you sold it)

well it's because i sold it as 3.1.2 i guess i can restore and if he wants money back i'll give it back

Amnak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2009
ok im going to restore but before i cant ssh any longer i know for a fact that when i restore the tag is going to say aaron because i had changed it to Aaron is there any way to change it back to iPod through ssh

JUST restored thanks for all the help! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.