How to wire 2 monitors into MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mr Ski 73, Jun 26, 2010.

1. Mr Ski 73 macrumors regular

I decided to sell my imac which I currently use with an additional external display and I have purchased another MBP, this time a 2.4Ghz i5. My plan is is get an ACD and use this as my primary external display which I know will work well in calmshell mode.

I also have a 22" LG monitor which I use as my 2nd display.

The question is which lead do I need to get from Apple to wire my ACD to my MBP and can I hook up my LG to my ACD?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

24" ACD comes with the cable you need to connect it to your MBP. However, MBP only has one out put thus you need an USB video adapter to hook second ext monitor

3. Mr Ski 73 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, I take it you cant chain it out of the back of the ACD like you do an imac?

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

No, you cannot. iMac is a computer with built in monitor and has video card with video output but 24" ACD is just a monitor with no GPU

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Not with a standard video adapter, but with the usb you probably could. I would just plug it into the other usb port on your mbp though.

6. Mr Ski 73 thread starter macrumors regular

OK I think I am getting there. So if I hook up the ACD via the mini display port then, take a USB out of the MBP and add the adapter then plus it in via dvi I am there?

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yes. ACD with Mini DisplayPort and LG with USB to DVI adapter