How to wireless stream content from internet to HDTV?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mkatz, May 16, 2012.

1. mkatz macrumors newbie

I'm hoping to set up a simple HDTV setup for a second bedroom in which I do not have access to a cable jack. I do have a strong, relatively fast (20Mbs) WiFi signal. What do I need to stream content (e.g. Netflix, Hulu, Youtube...) to a 1080P HDTV (LED, 40-46").

I've not yet purchased any components. I suspect options include use of a mac mini, appleTV, HDTV. Would use of a "smart" HDTV help or be preferred? Money is not a major concern.

Running cables through walls is infeasible. All suggestions appreciated.

2. lifeguard macrumors 6502

lifeguard

Apple TV will do Netflix's. Plus you can rent videos from iTunes. If you have a mac once ML comes out you can mirror youtube and anything else you want to it

3. kapolani macrumors regular

It seems that NetFilx runs like poop on the Apple TV.

The problem with streaming to your TV will be throughput (bandwidth). If you want HD it could (often times) be laggy i.e. stuttering.

The solution I use for my downstairs TV:

I like to play video games as well so I have PS3. You can get NetFlix etc. What I like about this solution is the ability to play games and BluRay. I also have a 500 GB USB drive that I load all my daughter's Disney movies and any other content that I want to watch. I plug this into my PS3 and don't have to worry about bandwidth issues.

With my solution I can also stream content from any of my machines to my TV.

4. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

I have an apple TV and it works great for streaming, never had an issue with it.

5. goRoostr macrumors member

Apple tv is your best bet for the money to get stuff like Netflix, youtube, etc. But if money isnt a concern, buy one of these http://myvulkano.com/products.html or a slingbox, and a mac mini, and you will be able to control your cable box from the Mac Mini. Plus you can watch your cable on your iPhone/iPad wherever you are. I had a set-up like that before, than I sold it because I never used it. But it was definitely neat while it lasted.