How to work on a Macbook Pro with the lid closed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Originalbeanie, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Originalbeanie macrumors newbie

Hi, first post here :)

ok so im planning on moving out and getting my own place soon! (cant wait :p) and because i will have more space im planning on buying a lage tv and running my macbook through that.

Ive looked into how to do it with the lid shut, but im more concerned with my sound system (im a music production student).

my audio interface runs off usb and im wondering if this can also work with the lid closed and if so how?

thanks in advance for answers

2. simsaladimbamba

It will work the same, as the computer is still running in clamshell mode (or if you use InsomniaX) just like it would if the lid is open.

Btw, a TV is not a good computer monitor due to its size and small resolution and therefore big pixels (30" TV with maybe 1920 x 1080 pixel will look worse than a 21" computer display with the same resolution).

3. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

A nice feature in Lion is that when you close the lid with an external display attached (in my case a 27" ACD) you don't have to wait for the MBP to sleep, then wake it with the keyboard or mouse...it automatically senses the external display and makes the switch (and very quickly I might add)...something that, at least for me, didn't happen in SL...:)

4. Originalbeanie thread starter macrumors newbie

ahh thanks guys, im running snow leopard atm and see no reason too change, especially because my audio workstations work perfectly as they are, changing to lion will just bring up problems atm, i will wait until they have updated everything.

as for tv over computer screen i might take your advice, also need something i can play xbox on, and i would prefer a bigger screen so i can fit more on it :p ive got freinds who have different set ups so i will check them out

5. Tydog07 macrumors 6502

Hmmmm, so will lion notice the external display if I have attached a MDP-HDMI adapter to my HDTV?

6. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I really can't say but I of course have the ACD connected through the same MDP port that the MDP-HDMI connector would use...I guess the only question would be if the HDMI would allow Lion to sense the external display...

7. marc11 macrumors 68000

Yes, I am running it like that now. HDMI from my MBP to my 40 inch LED TV, looks great. Just close the lid and it will work. Then using the BT keyboard and track pad I can wake and use it anytime I want, just clicking the Apple icon and putting it to sleep when I am done. Works great. Just know you need to have the descrete video card set for output in HDMI. This should happen automatically, but if you are using GFX and override the auto switching, you want to switch it back or set it to dynamic.

8. walterwhite macrumors 6502

walterwhite

even my older 15" macbook pro 2007 works great hooked up to VGA on my plasma... with a BT keyboard and trackpad... works great!

9. Tydog07 macrumors 6502

Thanks good to know! Although I don't know what you mean about switching the descrete card over to HDMI, I do use GFX switcher and used the MDP adapter before. I don't believe it adjusts the output of the video.

10. Originalbeanie thread starter macrumors newbie

does this mean that it will still look great even if i have say...a 30inch hdtv as long as i use a mdp-hdmi cableinstead of a mdp-vga cable?

11. Originalbeanie thread starter macrumors newbie

also, everyones been saying that you have to have both a blue tooth mouse and keyboard, can i not just have a wireless mouse and a wired keyboard? the keyboards more expensive and it doesnt come with the numeric pad

12. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

you can use whatever you want as long as it's identified as an input device so os x knows that you have a way to control things.

wired/wireless bluetooth/usb/rf keyboards/mice/trackpads/trackballs/keypads etc should all work.

13. Originalbeanie thread starter macrumors newbie

nice one :) glad to know i dont have to fork out a ton of money then haha cheers mate!