How To Work With Final Cut Pro As A Team?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by redAPPLE, Oct 15, 2009.

1. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

so here is the situation:

i taped a party and it ended up having 8 tapes. because i don't have enough time (or better yet, trying to manage my time), i would like to ask a friend to help edit.

would like to work as a team. example, he does the pre-party stuff, and i do the others etc.

any tips (links, tutorials etc.) you could give me? i tried searching google, but can't find the right "term" to search.

thank you.

2. -DH macrumors 65816

Final Cut Server was made for team/group editing: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC126Z/A?fnode=MTY1NDAzOA&mco=MTA4NDU1MjM&p=1&s=topSellers

However, from your description I doubt that you have the budget for the software and storage space required for that kind of setup.

I'd recommend that you give your friend the tapes containing the pre-party footage and let him capture and edit that part while you work on the rest of it. Once he's completed his part, have him do a print to tape of his finished edit, or export a self-contained movie that could be delivered to you on hard drive. You'd have to import his self-contained movie into your project for inclusion in the final program.

-DH

3. redAPPLE thread starter macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

hey.

thanks for the help.

i'd check into that...

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

While FCSvr does have some features for project file sharing it's primarily a media cataloging tool. And, like you mentioned, most likely out of budget (software + mac to run software + shared storage network) for the OP.

OP, either you or you buddy captures all the tapes then copy all the footage onto an external drive for the other person. As long as the folder structure remains the same you guys can share project files back and forth w/o a problem. Obviously if gfx, music, images, etc., are used both people will need to have copies.

Lethal

5. anthemus macrumors regular

anthemus

Currently I do a similar process where some friends and I help edit on each other projects.

First, you must have a producer, someone in charge of getting it done and checking in on others. (You?)

Second, have the same footage on multiple drives. That way people can e-mail you project files for you to screen since you have a copy of the footage as well. This will speed things up since you not waiting to pickup a tape or drive.

Currently I use this workflow with a couple of editors with Final Cut Pro. Also since I have the project file from them I can make any changes with very little effort and combine to a master project file.

Third, make a tentative deadline. That way the project will hopefully get finished and not just sit on the shelf.

6. redAPPLE thread starter macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

hi.

thanks for all the insight. i learned a lot today :)