How to write a thread. Professionally, that is.

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by ramzhh, Jun 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ramzhh macrumors regular

Hello everyone,

Every now and then (or for some, all the time...) we write a thread. On any forum. Anywhere. And we focus on getting other people's attention on our post, so they can properly help us. That's how a forum works. We help each other.

And if you're smart, you'll do whatever you can to get the most people helping you... the best they can.

And that, L&G, is what today's lesson is about.

So you have a question, how do you get people's attention? Three things: grammar, Capitals and structure. It's that simple:

Grammar - Just don't say "We is talk with Apple Genius" and you'll be fine...
    Capitals - "Johnny is going to God's Church. He is confessing.", that's all there is to it.
    Structure - Introduction, development, conclusion, and you'll be taken seriously.

This is what makes the difference between a good thread and a n00b1shX one, plus it's easier on the eyes. No, fokes, it's not just the Anti Glare.

I am writing this because I've seen to many important threads being sent to the 5th page.

Take care

2. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

What kind of suit are you wearing? Is it flame retardant? :p :D

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Join a forum and start off by telling people how to post. Yeah, that'll go over big! :rolleyes:

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

How do you think that can be enforced?

Many newcomers and many members don't look at this sub-forum for any help, they don't even look at the rules or faq or this thread on how to maximize your experience in seeking help.

Btw, you spelt fokes wrong, unless that is an actual word.

5. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Just a suggestion, but you might want to take a look at the forum rules.

6. ramzhh thread starter macrumors regular

And who said they did? At least some do. If one person is affected by this thread positively, it's enough.

And what does the fact that I've joined recently have to do with anything? I have a long experience with other forums, just like many of you do.

EDIT:
    I have, already.

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I said that, you quoted me. But it was not any statistical or scientific conclusion, it was my conjecture that let me made that statement. Often it is regarding thread titles and giving enough information to go on with.

But you are just beating a dead horse, especially on a big board like this, were new members sign up by the hour, if not even faster.

Maybe put a link to this thread in your signature or a link to MRoogle or any other guide to properly maximize the use of this forum.

Some learn, some don't, just look at Facebook and its "wonder" of proper use of language.

8. ramzhh thread starter macrumors regular

Let's not mix things up. Facebook is different from a forum, it's "social", and it's not intended to be used for help.

You're right about the signature part, I'll do it.

This is supposed to be just a bunch of tips for a better experience, in any forum.

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Sorry, I'm going to stop this here. We appreciate everyone's effort to make threads and posts easy to read and understand. We also appreciate many other bits of netiquette, including the use of sensible thread titles, providing all relevant information when asking a question, and of course saying please and thank you where appropriate. We don't need a thread to discuss it, however.

So with that, I thank everyone for working together to make this a great forum, and wish you well as you move along from this thread. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.