[HOW TO] Yosemite on Macbook (Mid2007) with Audio and Graphics

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by garretts228, Sep 14, 2015.

1. garretts228 macrumors newbie

garretts228

Before we begin this, I would like to thank everyone that is active in this community and others.

Screen Shot 2015-09-14 at 7.17.37 PM.png
    So.

I have a Mid 2007 Macbook.
    Model Identifier: Macbook 2,1
    Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz
    Memory: 4Gb
    Hard Drive: 320Gb
    Graphics: Intel GMA 950

If your specs look accordingly, this should work with a breeze.
    I also believe this should work on the Mac Mini 2, 1.

So first things first.

Prerequisites:
    1. An unsupported Mac.
    2. SFOTT Beta [download] [mirror]
    3. A USB Drive (8GB or more).
    4. OS X Yosemite.app (make sure this is 10.10 and not 10.10.5 for example)

Prepare your USB device for Yosemite:

Visit: 128keaton's awesome written guide on how to prepare your USB flash drive.

or

Visit: clyde gallagher's awesome video guide on how to prepare your USB flash drive.

Installing:

This part should be pretty explanatory, but if you insist..
    Once you have prepared your USB drive with Yosemite, all you need to do is restart your system, and hold down the option key until you get and option showing to select either your Hard Drive or the prepared Yosemite installer.
    Select the installer, and use diskpart to format the hard drive before installing.

Getting everything working:

Everything should work for the most part out of the box other than Graphics and Audio.
    We are going to fix that...

Download the graphics and drivers here or here.
    Once you have them unpack them.
    1. Install the VoodooHDA.pkg
    2. Open Kext Utility and wait until its done loading.
    3. Drag and drop the files that are in the Graphics folder into Kext Utility and wait until it is done.
    4. Drag and drop the files in the Audio folder into Kext Utility.
    5. Wait until it is done processing everything, and Quit the application and restart your Mac.

After this.. Everything should be good to go.
    Enjoy and I hope you are able to give your Mac an extended life.

Screen Shot 2015-09-14 at 7.17.21 PM.png

2. garretts228 thread starter macrumors newbie

garretts228

Surprised I never got a single question or feedback on this.

3. Chipmunk03 macrumors newbie

Hi garretts228,

I think your post is pretty clear. I like your post. I like the zipped package containing every thing one needs to get Video, Sound and Wifi running again. Many thanks for that.

Lately, I decided to buy a Mac. And since mid Feb 2016 I own a Mac Mini mid 2007 (macmini2,1). A second hand one. While working with Lion, I discovered it's not supported any more and looking for a way to get it running on a newer version of OS X, I stumbled upon SFOTT. I decided to give it a try.
    The mini had an 80 GB hard drive, which I saved and laid aside so, when in trouble, I could go back to the original OS X Lion. I build in a 120 GB drive, but I didn't manage to get it working with Yosemite. I attached a 160GB drive to the mac and I managed to get it installed with Yosemite. I also upgraded it to 10.10.5. After that Audio, Video and WiFI didn't work anymore.
    Yesterday I joined macrumors. I read so much information on this site and it helped me a lot. But, yesterday, after reading post #369 I screwed up my yosemite install. I think I missed a step somewhere and left me with a mac that wouldn't boot anymore. I tried booting with shift key pressed, with command-s. I booted from the internal disk and tried to repair and undo the steps inputs #369. Finally, I got it back by pressing command-s while booting from the recovery partition.

I had sound (Voodoo), but very low. Wifi does not recognize my SSID. Actually, while scanning, it find nothing and I know there are several SSIDs in the neighborhood. I tried to use your post and give it a try.

I followed your instruction. Sound and Video are working again but WiFi does not find any SSIDs. Could it be it does not work on a macmini2,1? I hardly found any posts on mac mini's. Video is working fine, like in Lion.

Cheers

4. Jack Neill macrumors member

Jack Neill

My 2,1 is running W10 Pro right now, I might have to give this a go.

5. garretts228 thread starter macrumors newbie

garretts228

I wish I could help troubleshoot, but I don't have a mini to test on. I do know the Minis came with two different wifi cards. You could try opening it up, and ordering the alternate one that came in it.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 26, 2016 ---
    I had a Solid State Drive in mine, and it ran beautifully. It's an old Machine, so don't expect 1080p YouTube videos by any means, but for the Pros and Cons of having newer software.. I loved Yosemite on my 2,1 before coming across a Water damaged 2014 MacBook Air I repaired. I have since sold it with Yosemite installed on it with the SSD for more than I paid for it $100 on Craigslist. Sold for $170

6. Jack Neill macrumors member

Jack Neill

A SSD really helps these old 'Books

7. Orizence macrumors 6502

How are the animations and things using this method?

8. garretts228 thread starter macrumors newbie

garretts228

They work, and are smooth for the most part.