Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jorey3969

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2005
space
I dont know if this is something everyone knows but I thought it is pretty cool, 1. press the command and option key and the asteris (key 8) (to enable the feature) 2. hold command and option and press +, or - to zoom in and out.

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
Yes, this is pretty widely known, but still a good tip. Can come in handy. Also, CMD-OPT-CTRL-8 inverts colors. Just don't give yourself a seizure.

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
Jorey3969 said:
I dont know if this is something everyone knows but I thought it is pretty cool, 1. press the command and option key and the asteris (key 8) (to enable the feature) 2. hold command and option and press +, or - to zoom in and out.
I think this might come in handy if you're ever watching 4:3 letterboxed DVDs where you end up with a huge black border all the way around the picture. Just a thought.

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2004
Oops, I posted in the wrong topic, damn you tabbed browsing!

Anyways, it's doens't work for me...
I got 10.3.9

Shamus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2006
SamIchi said:
Oops, I posted in the wrong topic, damn you tabbed browsing!

Anyways, it's doens't work for me...
I got 10.3.9

errr....so do i.....and it works fine.

totally AWESOME tip. thanks! :)

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
thats pretty sweet. I need to go find winter mute's 'tar now so I can find out whats really hidden inside that skull!

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Heb1228 said:
I think this might come in handy if you're ever watching 4:3 letterboxed DVDs where you end up with a huge black border all the way around the picture. Just a thought.
It can do a nice job of filling up the screen, but you end up with resampling on top of resampling so it looks a little muddy :(

Cre8inator

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2007
On which platform did this feature originate?

Windows can now do this as well. What I wanna know is, which platform first added this feature? Windows or Mac OS?

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
For me, holding "control" while spinning the scroll wheel on my mouse does it as well. It always has, so I don't know if that's a default.

EDIT: Like ethical below me, I also didn't see that this was a 4-year-old thread...whoops!

ethical

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
Or you could just hold down ctrl and scroll in and out.

EDIT: Didnt realise this thread was up from the grave! And the guy above me posted the ctrl method aready. Sorry.

barr08

macrumors 65816
Aug 9, 2006
Boston, MA
For me, holding "control" while spinning the scroll wheel on my mouse does it as well. It always has, so I don't know if that's a default.

EDIT: Like ethical below me, I also didn't see that this was a 4-year-old thread...whoops!

Or you could just hold down ctrl and scroll in and out.

EDIT: Didnt realise this thread was up from the grave! And the guy above me posted the ctrl method aready. Sorry.

This is one of my fav features of OS X. SO useful!

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
If this is so, how are people with 10.3.9 using it?

They had special hacks, like the Screen Spanning Doctor. :p

I use Mac OS X since 10.3.x and just found an article that with 10.4.8 Screen Zoom was introduced and since my use of Mac OS X 10.3 and 10.4 is quite awhile in the past, I just went with that article.

Last year I worked on a 10.2.6 machine, but don't remember if it was capable of screen zooming.

ritaszabo77

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2012
How very useful!

This was the most useful post I read in ages. Not because I did not know about screen zooming, but because I knew I can zoom in the screen while holding down the ctrl key and moving the trackball up just like you were scrolling on a screen. I need to confess I was zooming in Michael Phelps' swimming pants because there was a question about what was tattooed on him. I could not find the answer, but the trackball in my mouse gave up and I could not scroll back down. So there I was with a huge arrow filling up half of my iMac's screen, and not able to scroll back to normal. :mad: Then I went to google screen zoom on my phone and your post was the first answer I got. And what's the best in the whole thing: you were describing an alternative solution to screen zooming, just what I was looking for!!! So, again, thanks so much! I'll remember it forever.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
387e003f_HolyNecroPost_759032.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.