how toActivate an Iphone and more

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Yggrdrasill, Apr 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yggrdrasill macrumors newbie

So today i found an iphone on the ground right, there was a 4 digit code on it so i couldnt get into it, I took to home and my friend and I returned it to manufaturers settings.

What I want to know is, Is it possible to set the iphone up on a new account now? preferably pay as you go? and how?

If the phone is reported stolen / lost, would they know? cause i pretty much reset the iphone back to the factory settings... yeah

I just wanna be able to text, call, internet and **** on it, but am i able to?

what about jailbreaking it? or unlocking?

is it possible to do one of those and put it on pay as you go?
    doesnt really matter what company i guess

2. jmccullough108 macrumors 6502a

jmccullough108

It's not your iPhone, finders keepers doesn't work on someone's personal device.

Turn it in.

Yes, they can find out who activates it, because each device has a unique UNID. You are in possession of technically a "stolen" device.

BTW, if you think I'm blowing smoke, I do this stuff for a living. (I am a police officer).

3. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

I suggest calling up AT&T and reporting that you found a lost phone. Otherwise, the owner could call AT&T, report their phone as lost, and AT&T will blacklist the unique IMEI code of the phone, rendering it useless until it's returned.

4. dave006 macrumors 68020

First it depends on what country you are in and what country the iPhone was designed to be sold in but since you reset it with your friend maybe you should ask your smart friend since you don't seem to have the common sense to attempt to find the rightful owner of this "found" iPhone.

Question to ponder what would you want someone to do if they "found" your iPhone on the ground?

Yes, even after you reset the iPhone it is still possible to find the owner and return the iPhone. Just post the country you are in and we can tell you who to contract; Apple, Phone Carrier, the local Police Department. Pick one, all should work just fine. :eek:

Dave

5. pilotkid macrumors 6502a

Thats pretty messed up, return the phone...Maybe its someone's work phone and now they have to pay their employer back full price of the phone...call AT&T and let them know that you found it...

6. redrox5 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/7A280f Safari/525.20)

I know this will probably crush some dreams here, but neither AT&T nor T-Mobile here in te states have an IMEI blacklist, such as the ones they DO have in Europe. To OP, when reset to factory defaults, you're fine, however, I like to think a thing called karma may exist. :)

7. GeekGirl* macrumors 65816

GeekGirl*

8. Stiss macrumors 6502a

Go hand the phone in, when the owner rings up to have it blocked its useless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.