How tos from a newbie

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by neilspartacus, Jan 8, 2008.

1. neilspartacus macrumors member

I may be posting a series of silly questions after a failed search but please do reply bcz i am new to apple OS and Hardware.

To start with here are a couple of things I am trying to do in vein

• How do I move to 'Home' & 'End' on a line of text on the macbook (I am used to the home and end keys with windows on PC :()
    • Can I not restore a file/folder from the trash can to the original destination? Is dragging and dropping the only way? (On PCs right click and restore will restore the object to its original destination - any such option?)

2. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

Home and End keys refer to the top and bottom of the page, not the beginning and end of a line. No idea why Microsoft has been confused about this.

To move to the beginning of the line: Cmd + LeftArrow
    To move to the end of the line: Cmd + RightArrow

As far as the Trash question goes, I dont know of any other out-of-the-box hotkey to restore. I use the drag'n'drop method for this.

Someone else may have a suggestion on file restoring from trash?

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

home and end keys for the top and bottom of a page on a macbook are fn + up or down (page up or down). the home and end keys on my white apple keyboard serve as the same purpose.

as for a feature that restores files from trash there is none. this IMHO is a big design flaw in the finder. but this is how its always been for the Mac OS. a work around could be if dragging the files to the trash was the last thing you did in the finder just press command-Z, this will snap them back to where they used to live.

4. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

In the olden days (OS9) there was a command called (IIRC) Put Away - Command-Y, that put items back where they came from... its return would be welcomed.

5. neilspartacus thread starter macrumors member

how tos continued

Thanks to all for the replies...
    I was browsing through our forums and noticed a number of threads relating to heat and temperature monitoring of the CPU and/or harddrives. Why is there so much talked about temp on apples, is there some problem with apples? I have never heard of any such question or discussion on PC forums. Temperature was never a concern to me on my PC laptop, i never bothered to monitor it!

And for my new macbook can anyone please suggest me a tool to observe the temperature with a download link?

Its weird i started feeling the heat after read those threads on temp monitoring:D:p

6. Jason S. macrumors 6502a

And you probably never would have noticed it either if you didn't read the threads.

Really, don't worry about the temperature. All computers get hot, even PCs. There's no need to monitor the temperature and get paranoid. It won't damage the computer, but it can be an annoyance if you rest it on your lap for long periods. If you notice the notebook getting unbearably hot however, you may want to purchase an iLap.

7. montycat macrumors 6502

montycat

8. jellomizer macrumors 6502

jellomizer

As for hot, Macs tend to use the upper range of technology so they tend to run Hotter then older more mature technology, Using underclocked chips. Combined with many Metal Products like laptops they tend to feel hot to the touch so people are conserned about the heat. Most other laptops are made from plastic a good insolator so people don't feel the heat as much.

It is basicly a case you notice heat more on Macs then on PCs. Also some people got burned by apple (both figurelivily and litterly) by some bad designes on Apple products because of heat releated issues. All the way back to the Apple ]I[. Jobs doesn't like fans, so we like to keep an eye on heat to keep Apple honest. For most cases Apples are not going to overheat on you any more then any other simular system. But Apple Users tend to keep better care of their systems.

9. neilspartacus thread starter macrumors member

Talk to PC user using iChat?

Thanks for those replies im considering the ilap solution seriously!
    Here another question concerning me..

• Just wondering... can I use iChat to do a videoconference with a Windows user? If yes, which software should the other party be using?

Actually this was an old question on our forums asked back in 03. Then the iapps were not supporting the windows protocols and so the answer was no. But now the ichat thing supports google talk and other protocols so it should work now.
    My question here is...
    All my friends are PC users and use either google talk or YM. So for me to be able to do videochat (with voice ofcourse) with them how should i use Ichat?

to be more specific, if i login into ichat with my gmail chat id, i wont be able to do a video chat with my friends on gtalk right? bcz gtalk does not support video for windows user.

So what is the best s/w to do video chat when our friends are PCs.

I started encouraging them to switch and be a mac like me :D

10. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

the best and easiest way is for you to sign up to .mac or AIM on the mac and your PC friend to sign up to AIM. also make sure you and your friends have a broadband connection for best results and you both have microphones and webcams (obviouslty). should work out great!

11. matttrick macrumors 6502

you cannot seriously be so smug as to to not realize that the way microsoft does home/end in a textbox is far superior to command+left/right. the function is constricted to textboxes and is highly superior to multiple buttons. outside textboxes it works exactly the same as a mac. microsoft is not confused about this, apple is blind to a nice feature, similarly to the trash restoration issue.

12. neilspartacus thread starter macrumors member

not a good idea for me

If it was just 1 friend i could have asked to sign up for AIM but all my friends are PCs with YM or Gtalk. So the idea of asking all of them to sign for me doesn't sound good.
    Any other suggestions please?

13. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

just puch the up arrow to go home, and the down arrow to go to end...

14. neilspartacus thread starter macrumors member

thats right!

I accept this point of view!
    MS is not blind in this aspect and this features of their is better.

But u know on the lighter side, MS is never blind...else how would they be able to copy OSx and make Vista if they are blind :D...:)

15. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

If the move to trash was the last thing you did in the finder then you can just Undo it through the menu bar or apple-Z which'll put the file back where it came from.